recovering from lost+found

Post by Mathias Koerb » Wed, 12 May 1993 11:41:42

Tonight I had quite a bad crash on my system (powerfailure while cleaning
up an important source directory). This resulted in about 3000 files being
unlinked and put into lost+found at the next startup. Now, I have a backup
which ran about 3 hours earlier, but I'd still like to be able to just
copy (mv) those files back to where they belong.

I guess this can be accomplished by having a simple ino to filename database,
which then can be used to find where a file belongs. Perl should be able
to handle it quite nicely.

My question now:
        has anyone already written such a beast, so I don't have to
        reinvent the wheel?

        How do you (yes, you) deal with situations like this?
        -       Just restore the latest backup?
        -       manually examine the files and if you know what they
                are move them?

Thx for any info
Mathias
I'll summarize...

PS: my setup: ICL DRS6000 running DRS/NX 4.0 (SYSV.4)
--
Mathias Koerber                     | Tel: +65 / 7780066 ext 29
SW International Systems Pte Ltd    | Fax: +65 / 7779401

* Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft *

recovering from lost+found

Post by Mike Stefan » Wed, 12 May 1993 20:11:02

Quote:>Tonight I had quite a bad crash on my system (powerfailure while cleaning
>up an important source directory). This resulted in about 3000 files being
>unlinked and put into lost+found at the next startup. [...]
>How do you (yes, you) deal with situations like this?

Purchase a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) so that when the utility power
goes away, the machine doesn't crash at all.  This is not meant to be trite;
run, do not walk, to your nearest catalog and buy one for your UNIX box.
You'll save yourself a lot of grief.
--

Pacific Software Group, Riverside, CA

1. how do I recover files in lost+found dir ?

Ok, I moved the scripts that were in /lost+found back to
/etc/rc.d/init.d and /etc/ppp after looking at each of their contents.
(I seem to have lost the gpm script, but I should be able to rpm that
back.) I now realize that the broken symlinks were the S*, K*  links
in the /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/ directories.  These directories were all gone
except rc6.d. I did mkdir on rc[0-5].d and then made identical links
in those directories from rc5.d.  I know that's not quite right, but
it's a start.

Now my question is: What is a reasonable set of S*, K* links to their
respective /etc/rc.d/init/d scripts for each of these directories? The
links in rc6.d were to kill off everything and shutdown.  I could make
up a starting order, but what's the nominal set of links for each init
level?

TIA.

______________________
Tim Williams

2. MSCDEX and AZTECH CD-ROMs with Yggdrasil Fall '94

3. recovering lost+found files?

4. ld.so missing

5. Recover files from lost+found

6. bash update

7. find without the "find: cannot read dir /usr/lost+found: Permission denied"

8. Large EIDE, BIOS w/ LBA, 1.2.13

9. I lost my 'lost+found' directory!

10. Why have I lost 12MB to lost+found ?

11. Recovering /lost /usr partition - The final verdict

12. recover lost disk....

13. Recovering from lost linear md device