HELP ASAP - Unix dd command

Post by BtrflyCh » Mon, 05 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to find the "dd" command information that will help me to
write one or more commands that copies a double sided double density
diskette to the hard disk and back to a freshly formatted diskette.  I
have gone through about 15 books, manuals, and man pages and as far as I'm
concerned - it ain't gonna happen.  It seems so cryptic!

HELP ASAP - Unix dd command

Post by Robert Owen Thom » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

: I am trying to find the "dd" command information that will help me to
: write one or more commands that copies a double sided double density
: diskette to the hard disk and back to a freshly formatted diskette.  I
: have gone through about 15 books, manuals, and man pages and as far as I'm
: concerned - it ain't gonna happen.  It seems so cryptic!

here are the command lines for *most* flavours of unix:

1. to read the data off of floppy and onto the hard drive--
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/floppy1 bs=18k
this will put the contents of the floppy into a file called /tmp/floppy1.
your floppy drive may not be called "/dev/fd0".  in that case, you will
need to ascertain the device name for your floppy.

2. to place the data from the hard-drive to the floppy--
dd if=/tmp/floppy1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=18k
this will take the contents of the file /tmp/floppy1 and place them upon
the floppy disk.

this is an excellent way to copy DOS floppies.

hope this helps!

regards,
--robert
--
 o               Robert Owen Thomas -- Cymru Consulting, Inc.               o
 o  Unix:  Admin, Networking, Security, Internet, RDBMS, App Development    o

 o       vox: 708.686.3600   fax: 708.686.3600 (it works, trust me)         o
 o        "When I die, I want to go sleeping like my grandfather...         o
 o              Not screaming like the passengers in his car!"              o

1. Help on Unix dd command

Some one please help me with this small problem:

I need to make an EBCDIC dump of few files on to a 9 track
magnetic tape. I am working with Sun OS 4.0.3.

I used the unix  dd  command  along with mt,  but I can't
get more than one file written to the tape. Seems like every time
I write a file the tape rewinds to the beginning of tape.

Thanks in advance,

Suma.

2. Compressing existing volumes on AIX 4.3.3

3. dd command: extract single files out of a dd-file

4. OSF1 popen() threadsafe?

5. Creating first two LINUX disks with UNIX DD command

6. Set datestamp in files

7. Need DOS port of UNIX "dd" command.

8. Compaq laptop works except 20 Mb RAM. Help?

9. Help with "dd" command

10. help with dd command - EBCDIC to ASCII

11. Help using the dd command to write to sector 2.

12. I need help with my "mount" infomation Please help, ASAP

13. ***UNIX System Administrator - ASAP****