text formatting in 132 columns

Post by James Mossm » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 09:25:50

I have an application that generates reports (in this case PO's) in a
text file format in a SCO Unix based environment.  I want to take
these files that are output in 132 columns and e-mail them in text
format so that MS Word, Wordpad, Notepad or whatever common text
editor that is used in a windows environment can load the file and
maintain the 132 columns.  I have not had too much luck with this in
that I can format the document so that wordpad can read and display it
correctly but does not print it correctly and any other text editor
displays and prints the document in 80 character columns.  Can I add
some formatting characters to the beginning of the document to tell
the editor that the document is in 132 columns?

Thanks for your help.

Post by Chuck Dillo » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 22:52:29

> I have an application that generates reports (in this case PO's) in a
> text file format in a SCO Unix based environment.  I want to take
> these files that are output in 132 columns and e-mail them in text
> format so that MS Word, Wordpad, Notepad or whatever common text
> editor that is used in a windows environment can load the file and
> maintain the 132 columns.  I have not had too much luck with this in
> that I can format the document so that wordpad can read and display it
> correctly but does not print it correctly and any other text editor
> displays and prints the document in 80 character columns.  Can I add
> some formatting characters to the beginning of the document to tell
> the editor that the document is in 132 columns?

> Thanks for your help.

You need to ask an ms-windows group about these issues.  You can't solve it
from the unix end.  You might be able to get to a workable solution by
reformatting the PO to 79 columns or less.

-- ced

--
Chuck Dillon
Senior Software Engineer

text formatting in 132 columns

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 11:39:24

Quote:>I have an application that generates reports (in this case PO's) in a
>text file format in a SCO Unix based environment.  I want to take
>these files that are output in 132 columns and e-mail them in text
>format so that MS Word, Wordpad, Notepad or whatever common text
>editor that is used in a windows environment can load the file and
>maintain the 132 columns.

the following should work:

  report-generator | mail recipient...

if you produce non-ascii characters you should filter the report using
iconv or recode.

Quote:>I have not had too much luck with this in
>that I can format the document so that wordpad can read and display it
>correctly but does not print it correctly and any other text editor
>displays and prints the document in 80 character columns.

probably the print setup (page settings) are wrong.  fix them.

Quote:>Can I add some formatting characters to the beginning of the document to
>tell the editor that the document is in 132 columns?

there's no need, your report already has the end of each line (however wide
it might be) marked.

1. Display 132 columns in text mode?

I have an STB Lightspeed PCI graphics card that can drive my monitor in
variable text modes including 132x25,132x44,132x60 (ColxRow) when I'm
running MS-DOS.  How can I get Linux (1.2.8) to display 132 columns?
I've searched the HOWTO'S but I haven't found anything.  Maybe I'm
searching for the wrong keyword (COLUMN & TERM & WIDTH).

Thanks for all your help!

David

2. ssh kicking me out

3. 132 column text viewer on AIX 4.1

4. mounting cd-rw hangs kernel

5. setting 100-column & 132-column modes

6. How do I change the keyboard repeat rate?

7. Setting 132 column mode under linux

8. help with MGR

9. Can't print 132 columns on a Proprinter 2XL

10. 132 column display

11. tbl work with 132 columns?

12. HELP !!! SCO Console -> 132 columns

13. 80/132 column modes with curses