Beginner needs Help!

Post by HEXAGO » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have just in stalled Lunix on my second harddrive, in a 335mb partion. I
installed from a "Boot Magazine" cdrom. Everything seems ok so far although
I had had problems installing X-Windows. I think Its been solved but I don't
know how to get past the $ prompt after the login . all I  now is " man
command" to get a list of commands. Can someone please post commands so I
could see the software I installed for Lunix, and also how can I access
X-Windows from the $ prompt. Any help would be cool...

Beginner needs Help!

Post by George D » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

]I have just in stalled Lunix on my second harddrive, in a 335mb partion. I
]installed from a "Boot Magazine" cdrom. Everything seems ok so far although
]I had had problems installing X-Windows. I think Its been solved but I don't
]know how to get past the $ prompt after the login . all I  now is " man
]command" to get a list of commands. Can someone please post commands so I
]could see the software I installed for Lunix, and also how can I access
]X-Windows from the $ prompt. Any help would be cool...
]
]
Press TAB twice at the $ prompt, you should see a few commands. try startx to
start x-windows, but you will probably need to do some configuration, try it and
see.
--
 ,-,_|\  George Dau                                              __
/    * \ Unix (Solaris, DEC Unix, Linux), NT, Oracle, Internet  (OO)

      v  WWW:  http://pobox.com/~gedau                          W--W

Beginner needs Help!

Post by Surya V. Avants » Sat, 20 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I have just in stalled Lunix on my second harddrive, in a 335mb partion. I
> installed from a "Boot Magazine" cdrom. Everything seems ok so far although
> I had had problems installing X-Windows. I think Its been solved but I don't
> know how to get past the $ prompt after the login . all I  now is " man
> command" to get a list of commands. Can someone please post commands so I
> could see the software I installed for Lunix, and also how can I access
> X-Windows from the $ prompt. Any help would be cool...

Get into the /bin /usr/bin directories. These directories must have most
of the commands available on your system.

$ cd /bin
$ ls -l

Then try executing each of them. Have your UNIX reference manual with
you, keep referring to each command reference and try out each option.
Within 2 days you should be familiar with atleast 20 commands.

Good Luck

--
Surya Avantsa                   |Any opinions expressed by me in this
Software Consultant             |message are mine and not necessarily

1. beginner needs help with sockets

I need to communicate with a UNIX machine to a Win95 PC over the internet for
both "client and server" application. For the PC I have some subroutines
such as "TCP read" which handle all of the programming. On the UNIX machine,
I don't have any special routines. I've been told that I need to use a socket
interface in a C program to do this.
Can anyone give me any clues as to how to go about doing this. I am using
a C program in UNIX. Source code would be extremly useful.
Thanks a million,

2. PPPoE connection problem

3. Beginner needs help, especially with using Japanese in XFree

4. can anyone suggest some help?

5. ksh beginner needs help

6. Q: Parallel Compiling on Linux-boxes?

7. Apache: beginner needs help!

8. Error on posting news using NS405-3 on RH5 !

9. Beginner needs help with tar

10. PPP - Beginner needs help.

11. ksh beginner needs help

12. beginner needs help with modem