INSTALLING SOFTWARE ON UNIX

Post by Kyle Krupnic » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I want to install an UPGRADE to my previous ver of UNIX SCO 3.2 v4.2.
Is it done through SYSADMSH??  I have never installed software in UNIX.

Thanks
Kyle

1. Installing software on unix

I am yet another UNIX Newbie.

I am primarily working with Linux, but will be working on Sun and
Tru64 systems.

I have been instructed to "Learn Unix".  With Linux as my test bed I
got sucked in to the world of RPM's.  I have come to the conclusion
that RPM's SUCK and don't want anything to do with them.

I am hoping someone can point me to a good reference book or, even
better, online sources for information on installing software on UNIX
os's.

Being that I am 'used' to RPM based installations.  I am also used to
the System V control scripts.  I am currently installing Bind 9.2.1
from scratch I have untared the file configured make and make
installed it but I don't have any control scripts.  Where does one
acquire the knowledge to write such scripts?

I appreciate any help offered!

Sincerely,
Vince

2. Where can I get `shell poster'?

3. Ease of installing software in Unix (A question, I guess)[B

4. APACHE - Need help displaying .jpg file

5. Installing Software on Unix system

6. Hanging while calculation BogoMips

7. Installing unix software.

8. Please help - Soundcard config for SB awe 32 under Redhat 4.1???

9. INSTALLING UNIX SOFTWARE

10. Need help installing software from CD (Unix Power Tools).

11. Install disc & software 1 & software 2 disc

12. Install software with its prereq software in a different directory

13. Software for Installing Software