where it go ?

Post by sor » Fri, 19 Dec 1997 04:00:00

If I delete the file in use by one daemon, where the daemon's output will go
?

--

where it go ?

Post by Dr. » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: If I delete the file in use by one daemon, where the daemon's output will go
: ?

Mmm...would really depend on which daemon, but it should re-create the file.

Stephen

where it go ?

Post by J. Wakeley Purp » Wed, 24 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>: If I delete the file in use by one daemon, where the daemon's output will go
>: ?

You don't really delete the file itself when you do a 'rm', just the
entry in the directory file.  If a program has it open for writing it
will continue to write to it until it close()s it.  At this point, there is
data on the disk, but no way to find it by ordinary means.

As somebody else said, the daemon will almost certainly create the file if
it doesn't exist.