telnet vs. rlogin on local network

Post by David Richar » Mon, 13 May 1996 04:00:00

I sometimes use telnet to connect to another machine
on the same network. I know I can use rlogin as well
but I'm not clear on the advantages or disadvantages
of one over the other (if any exist)
Many thanks for any insight(s)!!

Dave

***********************************
         David Richards
The Aaron Copland School of Music
        at Queens College
      Voice: (718) 997-3874
***********************************

1. telnet vs. rsh vs. rlogin ???

I use telnet when logging into remote hosts, but I know rsh and rlogin
can do basically the same thing.

1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using these commands?
   I guess I'm trying to find out if one is particularly BETTER than
   the others.

2. Does anyone know of documentation (books or Web sites) that
   possibly compare these commands?  I know I can read the man pages
   but that doesn't really give me a GOOD side-by-side comparison.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated!

2. RedHat-5.x + multiple partitions on a disk

3. newbie question, telnet on local network vs ssh & security

4. Imap mail checker

5. telnet 0 vs telnet `hostname` vs telnet 127.0.0.1

6. Missing ksh on Pyramid OSx?

7. Network Problems - Remote Ping successful / telnet local successful / telnet remote failed

8. MS Windows Sound System (PLEASE Help me with this sound card) !!!!!!!

9. Host names unmatched when using telnet or rlogin to local hosts

10. display on local linux machine after telnet/rlogin

11. telnet vs. rlogin

12. rlogin vs. telnet ?

13. rlogin vs. telnet - How do they differ?