Rerouting print requests -> problem

Post by Jerry Fost » Sun, 13 Jun 1993 03:05:24

Our users never see a Unix prompt or enter any Unix commands.  We have
programmed a database application between them and the system.  This
database stores all the terminal locations and which printer is closest
to them.  We have 2 LaserJet printers, "office" and "lab".  If our office
printer goes out for repair we have to manually change all the database
records that reference office, plus change and recompile all the programs
that have the printer reference hardcoded in them.  This is a big hassle.
Is there an easy way to force the system to route all office requests to
the lab so I don't have to change all our office references in the
database?  lpmove allows for a one-time move, but I need it to work for
the entire duration that the office printer is off-line.

Attempt 1: Change the printer definition so office goes to the same device
as lab.  This sort of worked but there were too many instances of reports
being dumped on each other.

Attempt 2: I added these 2 lines to the very top of the office interface file:
                lp -d lab -s $6
                exit
This works, but for some reason it makes me nervous.  For one, the system
logs two successful prints (one for each printer) when there's really only
been one.

Anyone know of a better way or am I missing something very obvious.  Thanks.

BTW, I'm using SCO Unix 3.2 v4 (ODT2.0).

--
--------------------------------------
Jerry Lee "3P"             //  Amiga

1. Q: Print problem: Win95 -> Linux/Samba -> Linux/Netatalk -> LaserWriter

I've collected more info on the problem I described earlier:

I've got a PC with Win95 running on it.

I've got a Linux machine running a pretty stock RedHat 5.1 installation.

The Linux machine is running Netatalk and Samba.  It's got printcap
entries for a bunch of Netatalk printers, as well as a direct-connect
Canon BJ-100 and a raw network HP DeskJet 1600CM.

Our UNIX machines can print to all of the Linux print queues with no
problem.  Looks beeeeautiful.

Our Win95 machines have problems:

Printing to the BJ-100 and the HP DeskJet 1600CM works great.  Test
pages are great, documents look great.

Printing to the Netatalk printers doesn't work great.  The test page
prints, but the printer then spits out a blank page followed by a page
with the following message on it:

-----

ERROR: undefined
OFFENDING COMMAND:

STACK:

-----

Any ideas?  I've tried a variety of drivers on the Win95 machines, but
haven't had any luck getting it to print without the blank pages and
error pages.

Thanks,

Tom

2. IRC ident

3. Re-routing URL requests

4. XP Home not secure

5. ipchains question, need to reroute SMTP requests.

6. Restoring root file systems

7. Rerouting http-requests ?

8. Iptables and forward

9. Printing PostScript: Win95 -> FreeBSD -> Samba -> GS -> HP LJIII

10. "waiting for lock on <printername>" (Print request stay in spool)

11. Rerouting print queues

12. problem printing 2.5 --> 4.1.3u print server

13. <<WARNING>> Another Xconfig request