using dd to copy disk images

Post by Prahl V. E. (V » Sun, 20 Nov 1994 02:01:24

greetings....

if i use dd to copy an entire disk image to another disk will the defect list on the target
disk be overwritten?

vman

using dd to copy disk images

Post by Gary Broughto » Thu, 24 Nov 1994 09:38:12

 >if i use dd to copy an entire disk image to another disk will the defect list on the target
 >disk be overwritten?

Yes

1. Using dd copy image file to make a DOS bootable disk

We are downloading from the web to linux an image file that contains
DOS boot files as well as some other files.  We'd like to use dd to
convert the file to a floppy to make the floppy a DOS bootable disk.

Is this event possible?

dd seems to expand the image file correctly, but the floppy is not
bootable and cannot be accessed by anything other than linux.

Here's the steps we've taken:

1) mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0
2) dd if=disk1.img of=/mnt/floppy

An ls on /mnt/floppy shows all of the exploded files but the floppy
cannot be used to reboot.

OR, is there a way to make a dos bootable disk from linux?
HELP??!!?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. X performance on 486sx?

3. Using dd to copy disk partition corrupts complete target disk

4. Netscape fonts!

5. Copy CD to image on HD using dd or mkisofs

6. Linux on PowerPC ABI questions

7. Using dd to copy MSDOS disks???

8. Scanner

9. Help! Using "dd" for disk copy ?

10. Help !! Using "dd" for disk copy ?

11. Can I copy an NTFS-partitioned hard disk using DD?

12. Using dd to copy copy-protected floppies

13. cat or dd for floppy disk image