Configure Solaris 2.3 Kernel

Post by Rob heppensta » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 02:11:06

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the kernel on a Sparc 10
running Solaris 2.3.

On SunOS the changes I made were to add the
following lines to NEW_KERNEL:

        options "SEMMNS=128"
        options "SEMMNI=32"
        options "SHMSIZE=2500"
        options "SEMMNU=64"

How can I accomplish the same thing with this
God-dang, new fangled, dy-nam-mik Kernel ?

Any help would be most appreciated (especially since
SUN want $150/hour for support!).

--
Robh.

Post by Casper H.S. D » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 19:01:59

>    options "SEMMNS=128"
>    options "SEMMNI=32"
>    options "SHMSIZE=2500"
>    options "SEMMNU=64"
>How can I accomplish the same thing with this
>God-dang, new fangled, dy-nam-mik Kernel ?

Edit /etc/system and add the parameters.

For the precise name of the variables, look in the answerbook.

(Search for semmns and you'll find what you'relooking for).

Casper

Post by Rob heppensta » Thu, 26 Jan 1995 23:15:31

: >  options "SEMMNS=128"
: >  options "SEMMNI=32"
: >  options "SHMSIZE=2500"
: >  options "SEMMNU=64"

: >How can I accomplish the same thing with this
: >God-dang, new fangled, dy-nam-mik Kernel ?

: Edit /etc/system and add the parameters.

: For the precise name of the variables, look in the answerbook.

Ahh.. Slight problem. We dont have answer book installed
and we dont have the Solaris CD.

Thanks for the help though!

--
Robh.

Post by Casper H.S. D » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 02:30:05

}: > options "SEMMNS=128"
}: > options "SEMMNI=32"
}: > options "SHMSIZE=2500"
}: > options "SEMMNU=64"
}: >How can I accomplish the same thing with this
}: >God-dang, new fangled, dy-nam-mik Kernel ?
}: Edit /etc/system and add the parameters.
}: For the precise name of the variables, look in the answerbook.
}Ahh.. Slight problem. We dont have answer book installed
}and we dont have the Solaris CD.

These parameters are also listed at:

    Solaris at UMBC (http://umbc8.umbc.edu/~vijay/solaris/solaris.html)
        Solaris tips & tricks by Vijay Gill

You really need the sysadm answerbook for serious work.
Don't expect to find stuff like kernel parameters w/o
the docs.

Casper

Post by Rob heppensta » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 02:57:17

: : >        options "SEMMNS=128"
: : >        options "SEMMNI=32"
: : >        options "SHMSIZE=2500"
: : >        options "SEMMNU=64"

: : >How can I accomplish the same thing with this
: : >God-dang, new fangled, dy-nam-mik Kernel ?

: : Edit /etc/system and add the parameters.

: : For the precise name of the variables, look in the answerbook.

: Ahh.. Slight problem. We dont have answer book installed
: and we dont have the Solaris CD.

: Thanks for the help though!

: --
: Robh.

Mr Heppenstall, you are a moron!

This is how you do it...

Add the lines:

set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmnu=256

to /etc/system and reboot.

You don't need to change anything for the other parameters.

Maybe you should stick to an easier to use OS like VMS :-).

--
Robh.

Configure Solaris 2.3 Kernel

Post by Richard Ka » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 12:09:54

Quote:>These parameters are also listed at:
>    Solaris at UMBC (http://umbc8.umbc.edu/~vijay/solaris/solaris.html)
>    Solaris tips & tricks by Vijay Gill

When I try to ftp to umbc8.umbc.edu and login as "register" or "anonymous",
it tells me that I am an invalid user.

How can I login and get that file???

Thank you for your help,
Richard

Post by Casper H.S. D » Fri, 27 Jan 1995 18:32:13

>>These parameters are also listed at:
>>    Solaris at UMBC (http://umbc8.umbc.edu/~vijay/solaris/solaris.html)
>>    Solaris tips & tricks by Vijay Gill
>When I try to ftp to umbc8.umbc.edu and login as "register" or "anonymous",
>it tells me that I am an invalid user.

You need a Web browser like Mosaic and open the specified URL.

Casper

1. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link problems

Hi all,

We are attempting to link up two Solaris 2.3 networks via PPP and we are
running into some problems.  The link initialy comes up and we are able to ping
both sides for about 30 seconds or so and then nothing.  Does anyone have a
clue what could be hapening? We are stumped here.

Thanx,

- Steve
 Always going where no one has gone before...

2. SMS Messaging

3. HELP: Solaris 2.3 <---> Solaris 2.3 PPP link Problems

4. Using rsh to verify a directory

5. Configuring semaphores on Solaris 2.3

6. File Access Control

7. Configuring tin for Solaris 2.3

8. cannot unzip

9. HELP: configuring sendmail.cf for Solaris 2.3

10. disk configure for Solaris 2.3 install

11. failing to configure with solaris 2.3 for modem

12. Help with Pageview under 2.3 (Re: Display Postscript X Solaris 2.3)

13. Q. Solaris 2.3 and /kernel/drv/st.conf