Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

Q : Digital Unix 4.0 login problem : 'No directory!' & 'No shell!'

Post by JAgr » Thu, 13 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

We have a problem in a DEC Unix related to logins.
We can't access that machine except via root logins.
The login process ( I think ) reports an error :
'No directory!' if login in under normal login prompt
or doing 'su - someuser' and reports 'No shell !' if
we do 'su someuser' :(

There's no problem with directories since they all
exist and pwck gives no warnings on that, the same
applies to the shell.

The system was working fine until we had a problem in
a secondary disk and lost sme filesystems. There was
no big problem since we had no data in it at the
time. We have also configured the NFS server on the machine
since the failure. The problem was only detected after
those changes were made in the system so we can't point
the finger on any precise cause.Also, /etc/passwd was edited
directly with vi and someone told us that the problem might
be there. Since that, we have executed
'mkpasswd -v /etc/passwd' after removing ( and also without
doing it ) the passwd.pag and passwd.dir files without any
results, and all editing is now made via vipw :(

The system is in BASE security mode, if that matters ...

This is probably a stupid problem but it's there and we can't
solve it.Does anyone knows a solution ?  We need to put that
machine up and running fast.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

        Jorge Agra

1. Changing Serial Nos using 'brand'

Hi all,

I'm involved in using one machine to install SCO unix on hot swappable
disks. In order to do this I need change the serial number of a machine
so that each machine can have a unique ID. The disk will then be
installed on a new machine and the serial number will identify the
machine with the serial ID.

What are the files that need to be "brand"ed in order to change the
serial number/activation key pairing ?
Tried files in /etc/perms plus /etc/perms/bundle to no avail.
Using "uname -X" to see current serial number - is this the correct
command?

I'd appreciate if someone could get back to me on this one ...

Thanks in advance ...

Ray Fallon

Address : Nortel Ireland Ltd.,
Galway, Ireland.

2. need advice

3. Unix's 'rz' & 'sz'

4. dialing thru crontab

5. "You must 'exec' login from the lowest login shell" - Problem !

6. Repost: Calculating total VM on Solaris 8

7. 'more' doesn't work with non-login shells

8. DFE-530TX on 4.0-RELEASE DRAWBRIDGE-3.1

9. What is 'stty', 'term' & 'tty'

10. Want bash '&' to behave like csh '&'

11. RH 4.0 upgrade fails: 'hostname' ok, but 'uname -n' == "(none)"

12. Simple 'sed', 'awk', 'cut' problem

13. Help: problems with 'w', 'who' and 'last'