bsd printing on an SGI Indy running IRIX 6.2

bsd printing on an SGI Indy running IRIX 6.2

Post by Laura Ackerman » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

We have an Indy with Irix 6.2 attached to a Novell 3.12 network. I have a
HP4 and an HP Designjet 650C connected to the network also. The HP4 and the
650C have JetDirect cards in them with their own ip addresses.
On the Novell network the printer queue names are hp4 and 650cplot,
respectively. The name of the Novell server is xxx.

I can ping each printer/plotter from the Indy. I can ping the Novell server
from the Indy.

MY PROBLEM:
-----------
I cannot print from the Indy to the printer/plotters.

I have made sure the bsd software is installed
print.man.bsdlpr
print.sw.bsdlpr

and that the daemon is running with "ps -ef | grep lpd"

I have made a printcap file. As follows:
hp4:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=:\
        :rm=hp4:\
        :sd=/usr/spool/lpd:

In the above I have tried substituting the print queue name "hp4" for the
Novell server name "xxx" but get the same results.

When I send a print job (for example) with "lpr -Php4 /etc/group" the job
makes it to the queue because I can then do "lpq -Php4" and the job will
show up there. But the command issues feed back that it is waiting for hp4
to come up....and after a while it says that the connection to hp4 is down.
(Likewize with "xxx", when I substitute the Novell server name).

Needless to say... the job never prints. So far I have only tried printing
simple text files.. Start at the beginning....

If it matters, on the Indy NFS is on and we have Novell NFS also.

PLEASE HELP if you can.

Thanks,

1. bsd printing on SGI Indy running IRIX 6.2

[...]

2. Rexec

3. I need to copy all SGI(indy) to new SGI(O2)IRIX 6.3

4. MyNetworkWatchman Logger - Simple -Maybe Stupid

5. Follow Up: Irix 6.2 Hangs On Console Login ("amd" on Irix 6.2)

6. 2.5.69-mm8 apm.c compile fix

7. Connecting to SGI IRIX 4.0 Indy

8. enlightenment 0.15.2

9. Using threads on SGI IRIX 6.2 with gcc?

10. corrupted text files jot/SGI IRIX 6.2/NFS

11. Seeking simple free batch system (for SGI Irix 6.2)

12. Clock() on SGI IRIX 6.2

13. SGI IRIX 6.2 HELP HELP HELP