xterm, visualbell off, slooowwww xterm flash

xterm, visualbell off, slooowwww xterm flash

Post by Average » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:38:02

this is driving me crazy, a while back in this group i learned about the
visualBell setting in an xterm which turns off the bell sound
which is particularly annoying while in vi.
however, by turning it off i now get a very slow (2-seconds) flash
of my xterm which happens twice and i can't figure out how to stop it.
in place of the bell sound the entire xterm now slowly goes inverse
video twice and i can't find any setting that will prevent that.
ideally, i'd like just the frame to quickly flash if possible.
does anyone know how to do this or at least stop the sloooowwww flash?
(i'm on redhat linux 9 if that makes a difference)

tks
agg

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 19:37:21

> this is driving me crazy, a while back in this group i learned about the
> visualBell setting in an xterm which turns off the bell sound
> which is particularly annoying while in vi.
> however, by turning it off i now get a very slow (2-seconds) flash
> of my xterm which happens twice and i can't figure out how to stop it.

There should be a delay, but not that long.  (Actually someone told me
it was too slow - perhaps Redhat's altered that).  In termcap, it's
the "vb" string, in terminfo "flash'.  There's a number which is in
milliseconds as part of that string.

Quote:> in place of the bell sound the entire xterm now slowly goes inverse
> video twice and i can't find any setting that will prevent that.
> ideally, i'd like just the frame to quickly flash if possible.
> does anyone know how to do this or at least stop the sloooowwww flash?
> (i'm on redhat linux 9 if that makes a difference)

redhat 9 certainly is different - tried installing it on my current
machine, and it failed because it was confused by an OpenBSD partition.
Tried it on a new machine and it corrupted my boot loader (though I
told it to not tamper with it).

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

xterm, visualbell off, slooowwww xterm flash

Post by Average » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:09:00

thanks for the reply but no luck on this side.
i tried changing and finally taking out vb and flash from
terminfo and termcap with no change (which makes me suspicious
that i'm barking up the wrong tree).  i built a new terminfo
x/xterm-nf file, changed TERM in the xterm to xterm-nf and
still no change.
next i'm going try mod'ing the xterm source.
what i'm actually seeing is in an xterm, while in vi, if i try
to backspace at the start of a line the xterm goes white in a
progression from the top to the bottom twice and vi is hung during this.
i would rather it just flash the frame or do nothing at all.
i do not want it beeping (i'm on a laptop and it is distracting
to others around me).

agg

Quote:> There should be a delay, but not that long.  (Actually someone told me

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 03:43:16

> thanks for the reply but no luck on this side.
> i tried changing and finally taking out vb and flash from
> terminfo and termcap with no change (which makes me suspicious
> that i'm barking up the wrong tree).  i built a new terminfo
> x/xterm-nf file, changed TERM in the xterm to xterm-nf and
> still no change.
> next i'm going try mod'ing the xterm source.
> what i'm actually seeing is in an xterm, while in vi, if i try
> to backspace at the start of a line the xterm goes white in a
> progression from the top to the bottom twice and vi is hung during this.
> i would rather it just flash the frame or do nothing at all.
> i do not want it beeping (i'm on a laptop and it is distracting
> to others around me).

my terminfo for this (use infocmp) shows
        flash=\E[?5h$<100/>\E[?5l,
which is 1/10 second delay - not several seconds.  The corresponding
termcap entry wouldn't have a delay.  If that doesn't match your
configuration, it's not a bug in xterm, but just another Redhat bug...

Quote:> agg

Post by Len Philp » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 04:19:42

> redhat 9 certainly is different - tried installing it on my current
> machine, and it failed because it was confused by an OpenBSD partition.
> Tried it on a new machine and it corrupted my boot loader (though I
> told it to not tamper with it).

Welcome to the RH9 barrel o' monkeys funhouse... ;-\

I've been using Red Hat since 4.3 days, but I think that's probably
coming to an end, next go-round.

--

-- Len Philpot                          ><>  --

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 20:05:24

>> redhat 9 certainly is different - tried installing it on my current
>> machine, and it failed because it was confused by an OpenBSD partition.
>> Tried it on a new machine and it corrupted my boot loader (though I
>> told it to not tamper with it).
> Welcome to the RH9 barrel o' monkeys funhouse... ;-\

I've installed a few Redhat's, since that's the only way to really see the
bug reports.  Offhand, I recall 6.2, 7.2 and 8.0 (can't remember if I did
one of the 5.x's).

Quote:> I've been using Red Hat since 4.3 days, but I think that's probably
> coming to an end, next go-round.

I started with Slackware in early 1994, and kind of ignored Redhat for a while.

Generally Linux is easy (now) to install, since it'll go in an extended
partition and doesn't have to touch the MBR.  However, I did an install of SuSE
8.1 early this year, and recall that it didn't present an option for installing
LILO into the root of the partition.  On the positive side, I installed FreeBSD
5.1 on that box last night, and for the first time (2.x, 3.x, 4.1), it
remembered to not overwrite the MBR (it has an option, but consistently ignored
it ;-).

Since it's a development machine, I'll make another try at installing Redhat9 -
with LILO, since I've found the GRUB install into the root doesn't work.  If
that breaks too, I'll stop installing Redhat.  Reinstalling the whole machine
when one goes sour is not something I have time for.

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

Post by Len Philp » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:36:36

> I started with Slackware in early 1994, and kind of ignored Redhat for a while.

Well, my first exposure to Linux was with SLS (remember them?) ... ack!!
:-) I'm surprised it didn't scare me off completely. It was via about
20-odd floppies on an old Cyrix 486SLC (actually 386) 25mHz laptop with
110 MB drive and 4MB memory. No X, not much else in that space. However,
I have to admit it was a while before I gave Linux a try again. That
must have been around 1995 or so.

Quote:> Since it's a development machine, I'll make another try at installing Redhat9 -
> with LILO, since I've found the GRUB install into the root doesn't work.  If
> that breaks too, I'll stop installing Redhat.  Reinstalling the whole machine
> when one goes sour is not something I have time for.

I guess I'm just approaching critical mass on the "fluff over stuff"
approach. I like a good looking interface as well as anyone (indeed, my
background is in graphic design before I started doing admin work), but
not at the expense of everything else in sight. :-)

--

-- Len Philpot                          ><>  --

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:36:30

> thanks for the reply but no luck on this side.
> i tried changing and finally taking out vb and flash from
> terminfo and termcap with no change (which makes me suspicious
> that i'm barking up the wrong tree).  i built a new terminfo
> x/xterm-nf file, changed TERM in the xterm to xterm-nf and
> still no change.
> next i'm going try mod'ing the xterm source.

that, or the X server.  xterm implements visible bell by xor'ing its
window twice, with an XFlush in between.  If the X server doesn't really
do that all in one operation, it could take a while, e.g., if it repaints
only a few scan lines in each refresh cycle.  I've seen some comments about
(different applications) some X servers running slowly.  Perhaps this
is also a problem with LCD's.

Quote:> what i'm actually seeing is in an xterm, while in vi, if i try

Post by Thomas Dicke » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:49:39

>> I started with Slackware in early 1994, and kind of ignored Redhat for a while.
> Well, my first exposure to Linux was with SLS (remember them?) ... ack!!

yes - I was confused between them and Slackware.  I started by downloading the
~50 diskettes to install a system + my stuff, and they were the place to go -
but for some reason (long forgotten) I found the Slackware instead, thought at
first it was SLS (for all I knew, it was an abbreviation).

Quote:> :-) I'm surprised it didn't scare me off completely. It was via about
> 20-odd floppies on an old Cyrix 486SLC (actually 386) 25mHz laptop with
> 110 MB drive and 4MB memory. No X, not much else in that space. However,
> I have to admit it was a while before I gave Linux a try again. That
> must have been around 1995 or so.

my original box was something comparable - didn't start running X regularly
until I'd been working on xterm for a while (late 1996) since I could basically
only get one window to display.  Now my monitor is too large to be comfortable
with at the console level (so I run xterm, usually with 'screen').

Quote:>> Since it's a development machine, I'll make another try at installing Redhat9 -
>> with LILO, since I've found the GRUB install into the root doesn't work.  If
>> that breaks too, I'll stop installing Redhat.  Reinstalling the whole machine
>> when one goes sour is not something I have time for.
> I guess I'm just approaching critical mass on the "fluff over stuff"
> approach. I like a good looking interface as well as anyone (indeed, my
> background is in graphic design before I started doing admin work), but
> not at the expense of everything else in sight. :-)

I do most of my development work (for portable code) on either Slackware
or Debian, since they're nice & stable.

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

xterm, visualbell off, slooowwww xterm flash

Post by Average » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 23:41:21

this is strange (or else i'm doing something wrong).
if i infocmp my rh9 terminfo/x/xterm i get the following
in the flash field:  'flash=\E[?1h\E[?1l'

if i edit that to match your flash field content (below)
and then tic it and then infocmp to verify the change
i still end up with the same flash field
as above.  tic does not produce any sort of error so i'm
assuming that it is satisfied with the format.
am i doing this incorrectly?
agg

Post by Thomas Dicke » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:02:53

> this is strange (or else i'm doing something wrong).
> if i infocmp my rh9 terminfo/x/xterm i get the following
> in the flash field:  'flash=\E[?1h\E[?1l'
> if i edit that to match your flash field content (below)
> and then tic it and then infocmp to verify the change
> i still end up with the same flash field
> as above.  tic does not produce any sort of error so i'm
> assuming that it is satisfied with the format.
> am i doing this incorrectly?

probably - see my other posting.  my point there was that the delay you're
talking about is probably not related to the terminfo description, but a
problem with the X server. xor'ing the whole window causes the server to
repaint the window.  Normally that would be fast (one refresh cycle), but
for some reason it is not.

--

http://dickey.his.com
ftp://dickey.his.com

1. pasting from xterm to Netscape kills xterm

If I have text in an xterm, that I want to paste into Netscape, I
highlight it, and use the middle mouse button to paste.  This used to
work just fine.  Then we recently swapped around some hardware,
including my RS/6000 (a 43P-140 if that helps).  Now, the text does not
get pasted, and the xterm dies.

This happens in Netscape 4.05 and 4.5; I don't have other versions
easily available.  Window manager is mwm.  AIX oslevel is 4.2.1.0.

Clues?  (Upgrading the OS is not an option.)  Other info needed?

Thanks!

--
Dave Aronson, Sysop, AirNSun (f120.n109.z1.fidonet.org) +1-703-319-0714
Opinions MINE, not by GeoCities/Template/Mensa/NRA/SCA/CAUCE/USGov/God!

2. Unsure where to put the LiLO

3. How do I autoset "TERM=xterm" for xterms?

4. How to install SCSI adpater Adaptec AHA-1535A?

5. xterm, run a process, keep xterm open

6. Can you help as a staff member?

7. xterm: how to open a new xterm and run telnet

8. Setting up GNU/Linux WITHOUT DISTRIBUTIONS?

9. xterm &, run a setup script, xterm won't stay on

10. Linux/NCD Xterms and Xterm serial port

11. Xterm BugFix: XTerm doesn't "eightBitInput" unter NetBSD

12. How Cron job open Xterm window and display outputs to this xterm?

13. are SLS 1.01 xterms color xterms?