HELP with retrieving .html file to a unix box

HELP with retrieving .html file to a unix box

Post by James Youngma » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

  Craig> okay, here's what i want to do: I want to either write a
  Craig> script or program that will run and grab a publically
  Craig> accessible (via a web browser) .html file from a host and
  Craig> save it on our unix machine.  This has to be done by logging
  Craig> in anonymously to their web server but that means i don't
  Craig> have access to their directory so a simple script won't work.
  Craig> Is there any small programs out there that will just grab a
  Craig> file(.html) and bring it back? Or do i have to start learning
  Craig> to write internet socket calls????  Any help, suggestions
  Craig> would be appreciated.

Use GNU wget.  That's exactly what it does and you can get it from any
GNU mirror.

Post by Johann Pel » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>I want to either write a script or program that will run and grab a
>publically accessible (via a web browser) .html file from a host and save
>it on our unix machine.

lynx >lynx.out -source http://that.web.server.com/yourinterest.html

Johann Pelz

HELP with retrieving .html file to a unix box

Post by Crai » Wed, 08 Oct 1997 04:00:00

okay, here's what i want to do:
I want to either write a script or program that will run and grab a
publically accessible (via a web browser) .html file from a host and save
it on our unix machine.  This has to be done by logging in anonymously to
their web server but that means i don't have access to their directory so
a simple script won't work.  Is there any small programs out there that
will just grab a file(.html) and bring it back? Or do i have to start
learning to write internet socket calls????  Any help, suggestions would
be appreciated.

Craig

1. a script using telnet to retrieve a single html-file?

I know how to retrieve a html-document using telnet manually, but how can
I do it using a script? I tried but couldn't get it to work correctly.
I'm using Bash.

Here's what I tried:
telnet < script-file >& html-file

my 'script-file' was:
-- begin file --
open www.foo.com
GET /index.html HTTP/1.0

-- end file --

I know the aswer should be simple, but I'm kinda new to this stuff so...

Thanks in advance,
Olli Lemponen
---
                You know you've achieved perfection in design,
                    Not when you have nothing more to add,
                 But when you have nothing more to take away.

                         Antoine de Saint Exupery

2. Netscape Comm 4.51

3. Using expect to retrieve an html file via telnet - ?

4. 4th Annual Tcl/Tk Workshop- Prereg & Hotel Deadlines Approaching

5. NEED HELP WITH PROGRAMMING POP3 MAIL PROGRAM TO RETRIEVE MAIL ON UNIX-TO-UNIX

6. Linksys wireless and cdrom problems

7. file.html and file.html/ give same thing

8. Where is Print Preview in IE?

9. Newbie: Unix File Permissions on HTML files?

10. getting files from a windows 95 box onto an HP unix box

11. Copy Users from one Unix Box to another Unix Box

12. Retrieving/placing files from Windows from Unix. how??

13. How to Copy Unix application file to Macintosh and back to Unix box?