adding a comment to commandline command

Post by Eric Smit » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:14:00

How is it possible at the commandline to add a comment
so that you might search for the comment string in the history
to find the command.  Of course using `#' does not work.

Thanks

adding a comment to commandline command

Post by Alan Conno » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:09:19

Quote:> How is it possible at the commandline to add a comment
> so that you might search for the comment string in the history
> to find the command.  Of course using `#' does not work.

> Thanks

But it DOES work.

$ls -l /usr/share # ZZZZ

Alan

--
       There's no place like ~

Post by Tim Hayne » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:33:09

>> How is it possible at the commandline to add a comment so that you might
>> search for the comment string in the history to find the command. Of
>> course using `#' does not work.

> But it DOES work.

> $ls -l /usr/share # ZZZZ

Why don't you test before posting? This doesn't in everyone's shell, by a
long shot.

In the absence of any info as to which shell is in use, the best you can
suggest is to RTBM - many shells have C-r mapped to something useful, or
M-p or similar. And you can ask why the problem arises, too: what feature
of the command means a comment is required, or is it user-newbieness, or a
need for organization (aliases, functions to do common tasks)?

~Tim
--

The apple must fall to the ground           |http://spodzone.org.uk/

Post by Alan Conno » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:39:33

>>> How is it possible at the commandline to add a comment so that you might
>>> search for the comment string in the history to find the command. Of
>>> course using `#' does not work.

>> But it DOES work.

>> $ls -l /usr/share # ZZZZ

> Why don't you test before posting? This doesn't in everyone's shell, by a
> long shot.

> In the absence of any info as to which shell is in use, the best you can
> suggest is to RTBM - many shells have C-r mapped to something useful, or
> M-p or similar. And you can ask why the problem arises, too: what feature
> of the command means a comment is required, or is it user-newbieness, or a
> need for organization (aliases, functions to do common tasks)?

> ~Tim

I'd sure like to know where you got the idea that you can tell me or anyone
else on Usenet what to do and how to do it.

So. Here's the reality of the situation: I will post what I want, when I want
to, and YOU will live with it.

Watch your mouth when you talk to me or I will just not download your posts
anymore.

Not that you aren't right, technically. But HE is the one that didn't tell us
what shell he was using.

Alan

--
       There's no place like ~

Post by Tim Hayne » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:59:05

>> In the absence of any info as to which shell is in use, the best you can
>> suggest is to RTBM - many shells have C-r mapped to something useful, or
>> M-p or similar. And you can ask why the problem arises, too: what
>> feature of the command means a comment is required, or is it
>> user-newbieness, or a need for organization (aliases, functions to do
>> common tasks)?

> I'd sure like to know where you got the idea that you can tell me or
> anyone else on Usenet what to do and how to do it.

A small amount of experience that teaches me exactly where to look for
multiple cases? A little thought before opening my mouth and posting?

Quote:> So. Here's the reality of the situation: I will post what I want, when I
> want to, and YOU will live with it.

Congratulations. I did live with it. Maybe you should apply the same view
as well, you pompous *ing little hypocritical piece of shite?

Quote:> Watch your mouth when you talk to me or I will just not download your posts
> anymore.

Oh look at me, I'm shaking in my little space-boots.

Quote:> Not that you aren't right, technically.

I know this.

Quote:> But HE is the one that didn't tell us what shell he was using.

So why not have the brains to ask?

~Tim
--

with their secret weapon.                   |http://www.veryComputer.com/

adding a comment to commandline command

Post by Brian Ke » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:32:10

[snips]

Quote:

> I'd sure like to know where you got the idea that you can tell me or anyone
> else on Usenet what to do and how to do it.

> So. Here's the reality of the situation: I will post what I want, when I want
> to, and YOU will live with it.

> Watch your mouth when you talk to me or I will just not download your posts
> anymore.

Oh dear, here we go again with the brat+short fuse performance.

--
Brian Key

Post by Chet Ram » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:59:07

Quote:>> So. Here's the reality of the situation: I will post what I want, when I
>> want to, and YOU will live with it.

>Congratulations. I did live with it. Maybe you should apply the same view
>as well, you pompous *ing little hypocritical piece of shite?

Welcome to the jungle.  It gets worse here every day.
( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet )

Post by Alan Conno » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 04:23:26

>>> So. Here's the reality of the situation: I will post what I want, when I
>>> want to, and YOU will live with it.

>>Congratulations. I did live with it. Maybe you should apply the same view
>>as well, you pompous *ing little hypocritical piece of shite?

> Welcome to the jungle.  It gets worse here every day.

Sorry you have to see *like this, Mr. Ramey.
Thanks for bash.

Alan

--
       There's no place like ~

Post by Chet Ram » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 04:54:47

>>>Congratulations. I did live with it. Maybe you should apply the same view
>>>as well, you pompous *ing little hypocritical piece of shite?

>> Welcome to the jungle.  It gets worse here every day.

>Sorry you have to see *like this, Mr. Ramey.

Oh, it doesn't bother me.  Some things never change...

Chet
( ``Discere est Dolere'' -- chet )

1. adding a comment to a command on the commandline

I use history a lot and would like to "tag" certain commands like say
complex calc (1) ones with a descriptive tag that is ignored by
the interpreter.  The reflex of going for `#' dont cut it.

Is there a way?  Or - What is the way?

thanx

Eric

2. sed'ers? awk'ers? help!

3. BASH: How to add comments in multiline commands

4. Slackware 1.2.0 rsh and sg problems

5. add printers from commandline

6. Problem with Postgres95....

7. [2.5] Add Focus processor bit comment

8. Pentum 4?

9. add comments

10. Now to add "ELF" id/comment records with GCC?

11. comments on adding slist.h

12. add loop control to skip comments in while loop

13. adding comments to source file during sccs get