patches in general

Post by Glenn F. Leave » Sun, 26 May 1991 04:49:15

I ocassionaly see "patches" to various programs.  Here's a piece of one that
I recently saw:

Quote:>***************
>*** 7,10 ****
>  sites wishing to support them and finding a feed.  In general, these
>! groups are not carried by the entire network due to their volume, a
>! restricted sphere of interest, or a different set of administrative
>  rules and concerns.
>--- 7,10 ----
>  sites wishing to support them and finding a feed.  In general, these
>! groups are not carried by the entire network because of their volume,
>! restricted spheres of interest, or a different set of administrative
>  rules and concerns.
>***************

This doesn't look like standard diff stuff, so my question is, what package
or utility is used to merge these changes with the original document?

Thanks for any help,
Glenn Leavell

patches in general

Post by der Mou » Sun, 26 May 1991 21:34:21

Quote:> I ocassionaly see "patches" to various programs.  Here's a piece of
> one that I recently saw:
>> ***************
>> *** 7,10 ****
>>   sites wishing to support them and finding a feed.  In general, these
>> ! groups are not carried by the entire network due to their volume, a
>> ! restricted sphere of interest, or a different set of administrative
>>   rules and concerns.
>> --- 7,10 ----
>>   sites wishing to support them and finding a feed.  In general, these
>> ! groups are not carried by the entire network because of their volume,
>> ! restricted spheres of interest, or a different set of administrative
>>   rules and concerns.
>> ***************
> This doesn't look like standard diff stuff,

It's a so-called context diff: output from "diff -c".  In the
particular example you quoted, it's "diff -c1" - only one line of
context.

Quote:> so my question is, what package or utility is used to merge these
> changes with the original document?

Something called patch, available from fine archive sites everywhere.

                                        der Mouse

                        old: mcgill-vision!mouse

1. General scsi patch for pl13 vs aha152x patch

I have the scsi patch for pl13 (from tsx-11 /pub/linux/ALPHA/scsi) and
the patch for the 152x driver.  Which one should go first??

Does it matter?  I applied the general patch 1st and then the aha152x
specific patch.  After that a "make dep" failed with errors of no such
file or directory. I had rebuilt the kernel just before so I figure I didn't
envoke the patches with the correct parameters or out of order.  I guess
this jumbled things.

Are the patches order specific?  What syntax should I use with the patches?

My kernel source is in /usr/src/linux.  The patches seem to anticipate
something different.

Yes, problems of a green Linuxer

2. aspppls produces core dump

3. Solaris 9: X Desktop on Ultra10 no longer coming up after general patch install

4. which files are needed to upgrade to xf86 3.3.3.1? newbie question

5. Patches, patches and more patches

6. Sound and dosemu

7. Patches Patches Patches

8. AIX Direct talk 6000 - off topic perhaps?

9. Patches, Patches, Patches

10. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

12. Suse 7.0; Yast2, kinternet, rc.dialout und ich komme nicht ins Internet

13. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4