Looking for references for serial communications programming

Looking for references for serial communications programming

Post by James Prest » Thu, 17 Feb 1994 23:32:36

I am working on some serial communications software for
controlling a radar antenna from a SPARCStation (SunOS4.1.3)
 and I am looking
for good references, particularly using C++,
 for UNIX serial communications.

I found a couple of books that were just the thing (Serial communications
with C++, etc) but they were PC-specific. Does anyone know of good
references for Unix serial communications, or has anyone out there
written a SerialPort class??

I know that many of us would rather debate the m*issues of
programming, but I am currently being paid for a purely secular effort.

HeelllPPP!!!

Post by Chris Ols » Wed, 02 Mar 1994 05:02:16

: I am working on some serial communications software for
: controlling a radar antenna from a SPARCStation (SunOS4.1.3)
:  and I am looking
: for good references, particularly using C++,
:  for UNIX serial communications.

: I found a couple of books that were just the thing (Serial communications
: with C++, etc) but they were PC-specific. Does anyone know of good
: references for Unix serial communications, or has anyone out there
: written a SerialPort class??

: I know that many of us would rather debate the m*issues of
: programming, but I am currently being paid for a purely secular effort.

: HeelllPPP!!!

 I am also interested in finding some sort of SerialPort class.  If anyone
finds such a beast please let me know as well.

|  Christopher Bryan Olsen  | 116 Inverness Drive East  |       __|__         |
|  Sr. Programer Analyst    | Suite 301                 | \___o__(_)__o___/   |
|  CSC Intelicom            | Englewood, Co 80112       |     !   !   !       |

Post by Miquel van Smoorenbu » Thu, 03 Mar 1994 07:39:49

>: I am working on some serial communications software for
>: controlling a radar antenna from a SPARCStation (SunOS4.1.3)
>:  and I am looking
>: for good references, particularly using C++,
>:  for UNIX serial communications.

>: I found a couple of books that were just the thing (Serial communications
>: with C++, etc) but they were PC-specific. Does anyone know of good
>: references for Unix serial communications, or has anyone out there
>: written a SerialPort class??

>: I know that many of us would rather debate the m*issues of
>: programming, but I am currently being paid for a purely secular effort.

>: HeelllPPP!!!

> I am also interested in finding some sort of SerialPort class.  If anyone
>finds such a beast please let me know as well.

I recently released minicom 1.60, a menu driven serial comms program
(clone of MSDOS Telix) for *nix. It compiles under Linux, Coherent, BSD386
and _also_ SunOS 4.1.3. It's under the GPL and I have centralized all
system dependant serial stuff in one module: sysdep1.c (and sysdep.h).
It has most if not all routines to control a serial port. It's plain C,
but it wouldn't take much to build a SerialPort class out of it.

You can find it on sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/Linux/apps/comm/minicom-1.60.tgz

Hope it is useful - Mike.
--
| Miquel van Smoorenburg        | "I know one million ways, to always pick |

1. Looking for references for serial communications programming

I am working on some serial communications software for
controlling a radar antenna from a SPARCStation (SunOS4.1.3)
 and I am looking
for good references, particularly using C++,
 for UNIX serial communications.

I found a couple of books that were just the thing (Serial communications
with C++, etc) but they were PC-specific. Does anyone know of good
references for Unix serial communications, or has anyone out there
written a SerialPort class??

I know that many of us would rather debate the moral issues of
programming, but I am currently being paid for a purely secular effort.

HeelllPPP!!!

2. "Cannot continue, aborting"

3. How to set up serial port when programming serial communication

4. Install freezes on "Configure X" - Mandrake 8.02

5. Opensource rumors (Microsoft Windows)

6. Looking for serial communications class

7. Multiple dummy interfaces

8. Looking for commercial C/C++ APIs for UNIX serial communications

9. Need help on program for serial line communication of UNIX

10. Looking for a Linux version of the "tip" communication program

11. Problem with program doing serial communication under Cygwin

12. Looking for a Linux version of the communication program "tip"