Best place to ask beginners Linux questions

Best place to ask beginners Linux questions

Post by Todd Car » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 10:29:59

I am looking for a forum where I can ask beginner's questions for Linux.
  For instance, I am running Linux 9 (with PHP, Apache and Interbase),
but Interbase extensions are not included with PHP (as expected).  I
need to recompile Apache with PHP and Interbase using apxs.
Conceptually I understand what needs to be done, but I do not know where
to start having never compiled anything in the Unix/Linux environment.

Suggestions gladly welecomed.....

Todd Cary
Petaluma, CA

Best place to ask beginners Linux questions

Post by Tim Hammerquis » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 18:40:35

[ f'ups to comp.os.linux ]

Todd Cary graced us by uttering:

Quote:> I am looking for a forum where I can ask beginner's questions
> for Linux.

As far as usenet, comp.os.linux sees a lot of beginner questions.

Quote:> For instance, I am running Linux 9 (with PHP, Apache and
> Interbase), but Interbase extensions are not included with PHP
> (as expected).  I need to recompile Apache with PHP and
> Interbase using apxs.  Conceptually I understand what needs to
> be done, but I do not know where to start having never compiled
> anything in the Unix/Linux environment.

Well, Linux 9 is a long way off.  To my knowledge, the latest
stable Linux release is 2.4.21.  I don't know how you got your
hands on Linux 9, but see if you can find where they hid their
time capsule.

If, on the other hand, the box you got the installation disks
from has a large red hat on it, be informed that you're actually
running Redhat Linux 9, which is a distribution of the GNU/Linux
operating system and is very different from "Linux", which is
merely the kernel.  This information will make it easier for
those in comp.os.linux to help you.

Cheers,
Tim Hammerquist
--

Quote:> ...any ideas on how to make vim behave like the 'tail' command in unix?

On my system "cp /usr/bin/tail /usr/local/bin/vim" does the trick,
though Vi compatibility is subsequently somewhat impaired.

Best place to ask beginners Linux questions

Post by Alan Conno » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:41:57

Quote:> [ f'ups to comp.os.linux ]

> Todd Cary graced us by uttering:
>> I am looking for a forum where I can ask beginner's questions
>> for Linux.

> As far as usenet, comp.os.linux sees a lot of beginner questions.

>> For instance, I am running Linux 9 (with PHP, Apache and
>> Interbase), but Interbase extensions are not included with PHP
>> (as expected).  I need to recompile Apache with PHP and
>> Interbase using apxs.  Conceptually I understand what needs to
>> be done, but I do not know where to start having never compiled
>> anything in the Unix/Linux environment.

> Well, Linux 9 is a long way off.  To my knowledge, the latest
> stable Linux release is 2.4.21.  I don't know how you got your
> hands on Linux 9, but see if you can find where they hid their
> time capsule.

> If, on the other hand, the box you got the installation disks
> from has a large red hat on it, be informed that you're actually
> running Redhat Linux 9, which is a distribution of the GNU/Linux
> operating system and is very different from "Linux", which is
> merely the kernel.  This information will make it easier for
> those in comp.os.linux to help you.

> Cheers,
> Tim Hammerquist

:-)

http://rute.sourceforge.net

Alan

--
       There's no place like ~

Post by nuk » Mon, 07 Jul 2003 03:40:23

> I am looking for a forum where I can ask beginner's questions for Linux.
>   For instance, I am running Linux 9 (with PHP, Apache and Interbase),
> but Interbase extensions are not included with PHP (as expected).  I
> need to recompile Apache with PHP and Interbase using apxs.
> Conceptually I understand what needs to be done, but I do not know where
> to start having never compiled anything in the Unix/Linux environment.

alt.os.linux
comp.os.linux.networking
comp.os.linux.misc
comp.os.linux.setup

www.linuxnewbie.org
forums.devshed.com

HTH,

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.

1. Another place to ask a linux question

Usenet is a great resource for Linux questions, but you don't always
get a response in a timely manner or one at all.  Sometimes you don't
understand the answer, and it takes so long to have your post posted
and wait for  a response.  GetLinuxOnline.Com is hosting a linux
support forum that your guaranteed to get an answer within just a
short period of time, and it instantaneously posts, so you might even
get a response right away.  You can always ask to have the answer
explained to you if you don't understand, or you can delve deeper into
the problem.

Come join the message board, it is free as rain, and ask a question in
both places, see how quick you get an answer, and compare the quality
of answer.  I guarantee you'll enjoy our message boards.

http://www.getlinuxonline.com
Just click on discussion then click register up at the top.

GLO doesnt only host message boards, but I think you'll want to give
those a try first! :)

Thank you,
Aragorn
Admin of GLO

P.S.  Please, write me back and let me know what you think of the
site!  Email me from the site, or you can leave a message here! :)

# PLEASE remember a short description of the software and the LOCATION.  #
# This group is archived at http://stump.algebra.com/~cola/              #

2. Slacware install help needed

3. Best place to place shell scripts for all users to have access

4. Token Ring support?

5. Place to get beginners guide to using snmp on Linux

6. Help with multi-OS/multiboot

7. newbie, where is the proper place to ask the seemingly dumb questions

8. DUMMY devices...

9. Another place to ask questions

10. Another place to ask a question

11. is it the right place to ask this question?

12. Another place to ask questions

13. I am the beginner of C programming, a question I want to ask anybody?