.tar on end of file means what?

Post by alpha beaver » Tue, 18 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I downloaded a program off the net with .tar at the end of its name but I
can't figur out how to run it. what does the .tar mean?

.tar on end of file means what?

Post by Villy Kru » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>// I downloaded a program off the net with .tar at the end of its name but I
>// can't figur out how to run it. what does the .tar mean?
>The file has been coated with a sticky black waterproof substance to prevent
>it from becoming damp during transport.
>'man tar' should help, and in future please read the FAQ before you post..

Exactely!!!!

Also,  On any decent unix system there is a command called file which
takes as argument the name of a file.  This command will then try to
figure out what type of file this is.  Sometime it makes a mistake, but
generally it is a rather useful command.

Villy

.tar on end of file means what?

Post by sp.. » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

yadda: Also,  On any decent unix system there is a command called file which
yadda: takes as argument the name of a file.  This command will then try to
yadda: figure out what type of file this is.  Sometime it makes a mistake, but
yadda: generally it is a rather useful command.

Running "file" on a .tar file will tell you that it is--gasp--a "tar
file."  Which is not going to be a big help unless you already know what
that means.  man tar  is the thing.

--matt.

I have tried often to search behind the sophistication of
years for the enchantment I so easily found in those gifts.
The essence escapes but its aura remains.

        Maya Angelou
        _I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings_

http://www.creighton.edu/~spoko