umount: /dev/{device}: device is busy

Post by Roth Mark Dani » Sun, 26 Sep 1993 02:55:20

I seem to be having a weird sporradic problem with umount.  I am
running Linux 0.99PL12 release SLS1.03 on my 486DX/33.  When I mount a
drive - whether it be another harddisk/partition or a floppy - umount
sometimes refuses to let me unmount it, responding with the above
error.  I have to reboot to clear it, and the reboot program notes
that it can't unmount the drive either, but reboots anyway.  (Is that
safe?)  When the system comes back up, the drive is unmounted.

The man pages say that the error is caused by some process using the
files under the mount point or having a wd under the mount point, but
I don't know what processes would be under /mnt (where I typically
mount stuff).

Since it doesn't happen all the time, it's not easy to trace.  Can
someone tell me what's a good way to determine the wd of a process?
Is there anything other than the process-under-mount-point thing that
could be causing the umount problem?  Any help, answers, or
suggestions would be appreciated!

 Brought to you by The Admiral,      | "Fate protects fools, small
   Renengade Time Lord masquerading  |   children, and TARDISes named
  as Commandant of Starfleet Academy |            Enterprise!"

1. pl12 - umount: /dev/fd0: device is busy

 After upgrading to pl12 and libc4.4.2, umount fails to unmount
devices with the above error.

 This happens even when no process is using the mounted device (nor
does anyone have that directory as the default dir).

 The same symptoms happen when shutting down. The reboot command
cannot umount /usr and (sometimes) cannot umount /home.

 None of this happened with linux0.99pl10.

 This is not the usual problem of not beeing able to umount /. My
system has / as a 10Meg minix, /usr and /home as 100Meg ext2 fs.

 I heard at least another complain about this but no solutions. Does
anybody else suffer from the same problem.

  Thank's for any help

    Arlindo

2. Console font / resolution

3. umount: /dev/hdb: device is busy

4. SIZE FILE VERIFYING

5. /dev/ttyS2 (/dev/cua2) reports "device or resource busy" on kernel 2.1.95

6. help with innd!

7. tape device bulebud01 / 57 <> mt status /dev/rmt/3n /dev/rmt/0n: Device busysy?

8. machine type:

9. "Device is busy" msg from umount...

10. umount: /usr: device busy

11. umount /cdrom ==> Device busy?

12. Q: umount says device busy despite fuser shows nothing

13. Umount...device busy during shutdown ???