1. Proxy arp not working in Linux
I'm having a problem configuring proxy arp. My understanding is that
first proxy arp must be enabled in the kernel by setting one or more of
these variables to "1".
Inititially, I set just eth0, but then tried setting them all when it
didn't work. I set the variables in /etc/sysctl.conf, stopped and
restarted the interface, and checked to make certain they were all set.
After setting the kernel variables, I added a permanent, published arp
table entry as follows:
# arp -s 192.168.18.230 00:B0:D0:B5:52:F9 pub
Also tried this:
# arp -i eth0 -s 192.168.18.230 -D eth0 pub
Here's what's in the arp cache after adding the entry:
# arp -an
? (192.168.18.12) at 00:0D:56:A3:90:83 [ether] on eth0
? (192.168.18.1) at 00:00:0C:07:AC:01 [ether] on eth0
? (192.168.18.230) at * PERM PUP on eth0
# cat /proc/net/arp
IP address HW type Flags HW address Mask
192.168.18.12 0x1 0x2 00:0D:56:A3:90:83 *
192.168.18.1 0x1 0x2 00:00:0C:07:AC:01 *
192.168.18.230 0x1 0xc 00:00:00:00:00:00 *
The "*" in the arp -an output doesn't look right, and the HW address
for 192.168.18.230 is definitely not right.
But, just to see if it would respond I pinged it from another box on
the local subnet. I don't expect icmp echo replies at this point,
since the box is not routing. But I did expect to see an arp reply if
it was configured correctly. But there's no reply. I tried the same
thing on a Solaris system and it works fine. What else needs to be
done to make this work in Linux? I tried it on two different Redhat
systems, 2.6.11-1.14_FC3 and 2.6.9-5.Elsmp, with the same results.
2. configuring CDE
3. does proxy arp not work in solaris 2.3 or 2.4?
4. Try on this corrective package from the M$
5. Network problem (ARP not working?)
6. The Future of SCO in the personal desktop U
7. proxy arp not working in ppp session
8. Is timing reproducible ? (Re: times vs clock)
9. ppp connection proxy arp not working
10. I can not get ARP to work, even though /proc/net/arp is correct!
11. To ARP or not to arp ...
12. arp command does not work!
13. Arp and sliplogin not working, HELP!