Changing delete key for emacs

Post by Matthew Paul Cli » Fri, 02 Jul 1993 13:01:25

        Is there any way to change what emacs considers to be the
delete key?  Say, so that the backspace key would work like it
usually does?  Thanks in advance.
--
/-----------------------------------------------------------\
|Matthew Cline        | The laws of thermodynamics:         |

|                     | 3) You can't stop playing the game. |
\-----------------------------------------------------------/

Post by Alnoor Lad » Sun, 11 Jul 1993 03:02:24

:
:       Is there any way to change what emacs considers to be the
: delete key?  Say, so that the backspace key would work like it
: usually does?  Thanks in advance.
: --
: /-----------------------------------------------------------\
: |Matthew Cline        | The laws of thermodynamics:         |
: |                     | 1) You can't win.                   |

: |                     | 3) You can't stop playing the game. |
: \-----------------------------------------------------------/
Sure!

Atleast two ways to do it.

1. When in emacs, Esc-x to the command mode and enter:
global-set-key  (Press RETURN)

EMACS prompts you to press a key. Press the BackSpace key (or any key
you want to assign the function to).

Now tell EMACS what function you want the key in question to execute.
So enter the following:
delete-backward-char   (Press RETURN)

Your BackSpace key should work as your delete key.

2. To invoke the above automatically everytime you enter EMACS (which
is probably what you want), enter the following line in the .emacs
file in your home directory:

(global-set-key "\C-H" 'delete-backward-char)

                 ^^^^
This escape sequence may be different on your keyboard. If it is just
replace it with the appropriate sequence. If you do not know what it is,
use method 1 the first time. When you press the BackSpace key you should
see its escape sequence being recorded on the bottom of your screen.

You can similarly map most functions to the keys of your choice.

Good Luck!

Alnoor

ESRI Canada                             |     Mary had a little lamb ....
49 Gervais Dr., Don Mills, Ont. M3C 1Y9 |      .... With Tabasco Sauce!!

1. Remapping Keys (want delete key to delete etc!)

Hi,

I would have thought linux being Intel based that the keyboard mappings would
work "correctly".  I have 4 linux books and none help me in this.

I have created a ".input.rc" which gets my full screen bash shell working much
better with home, end and delete keys working (I was following a poor example
without any explanations).  This stuffs up or does not work correctly in
xwindows, xterm etc.

Question 1
~~~~~~~
Can I up the keyboard repeat rate from the current snails pace?

Question 2
~~~~~~~
Surely I can download something from somewhere or get information on the
mapping of keys to "normal" PC mappings.  Unless linux wants to only attract
unix people it would seem to me that it will need to correct this problem....

Thanks for any help,
Dennis

----------------------------

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~dbareis/index.htm

 - Contains heaps of my own FREE software (OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux):
   * PPWIZARD (HTML/REXX/generic preprocessor - #define, #include, #import, #if)
     Powerful macros, programmable, import SQL, auto tag examples, Text to HTML, template/style sheet design.
     You WILL NOT find an easier to use or more powerful preprocessor than PPWIZARD.
     Tested on OS/2, Windows, DOS & Linux (probably any Unix OK - if not help me make it so).
   * Icon for single OS/2 archive on following boot (also auto archive every 'x' days).
   * REXX "compiler" - Many options, compresses, encrypts (no one can see/modify source).
   * Program manipulation by Window or Switch list title (with wildcards)
   * Prevent a floppy in boot drive stopping boot off hard disk.
   * Heaps more...
 - Some source code and programmers links.  Regina Information (including porting from OS/2)
   * Pure REXX code for CRC16 & CRC32 routines.
 - Heaps of COMMENTED OS/2, HTML, Java and other links
----------------------------

2. historical use of '^' in shell

3. change ctrl-c to delete key

4. linux to linux SLIP

5. Changed resolution, now my delete key doesn't work; any ideas?

6. PIXIE - an mv-DBMS for linux

7. How to make Delete key delete forward?

8. Raid 1 mirror in RH 6.0

9. getting Delete key to DELETE on RS6000

10. How to (setq delete-key-deletes-forward t) in syscons?

11. how can my delete key delete?

12. How Do I Get Delete Key to delete?

13. delete key = delete-next-char?