Unix on a PC

Post by Robert Munnin » Thu, 06 Aug 1992 22:51:00

I have a friend interested in the current state of public domain UNIX
like operating systems. I have heard aboud Linux and 386bsd. Does
386bsd cost money now?  Will it in the future? Where can I get it ?
I would like to hear from anyone who has used UNIX on a PC.

1. unix desktop on pc, pc desktop on unix box, free

What is VNC? - A practical introduction

"VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is, in essence, a remote
display system which allows you to view a
computing 'desktop' environment not only on the machine where it is running,
but from anywhere on the Internet and from a wide variety of machine
architectures."

    http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Platforms include: widows, unixes:

 http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/platforms.html

--
Bob Irwin

2. help IPalias

3. PC vendors for PCs to run Unix (Linux, Solaris, etc.)

4. Howto duplicate boot floppy?

5. mount PC files on UNIX using PC-NFS?

6. reading keyboard entry w/ no echo

7. I would like to know for *really* old PCs (was: Starting UNIX using old PCs)

8. Junior to Mid-level System Administrator

9. PC and UNIX networking, when PC has broadband and Sun is standalone

10. pc->linux, was how to get a pc to act more like unix

11. Anyone ever connected a PC running unix to PC lantastic network?

12. new Unix user: How do I transfer file from MSDOS diskette onto Unix pc hard disk?

13. How to make a connection from PC to UNIX or UNIX to PC using PC-NFS without pcnfsd daemon