Korn Shell History File Question under HP-UX 10.20

Korn Shell History File Question under HP-UX 10.20

Post by Billy Dickerso » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:58:39

Hello Everyone,

I am running under HP-UX 10.20 and I would like to be able to recall my
command line history only for
the xterm/shell that I am currently logged into.

Currently, my $HISTFILE environment variable is set in my $HOME/.profile as
the following:

export  HISTFILE=$HOME/.kshist

so I changed it to:

export  HISTFILE=$HOME/.kshist.$$

to resolve out to be my .kshist file with the process id of the shell I was
running appended to the end.

This seems to work fine and I get the functionality I was looking for except
that there could
potentially be many .kshist.pid files laying around even after I exit my
xterm window.

Does anyone know of a way in HP-UX that when I exit the xterm or shell that
the associated
$HOME/.kshist.pid file can be automatically removed?

Any ideas is appreciated.

Thank you!

Post by Dan Merc » Thu, 16 Jan 2003 02:08:41

> Hello Everyone,

> I am running under HP-UX 10.20 and I would like to be able to recall my
> command line history only for
> the xterm/shell that I am currently logged into.

> Currently, my $HISTFILE environment variable is set in my $HOME/.profile as
> the following:

> export  HISTFILE=$HOME/.kshist

> so I changed it to:

> export  HISTFILE=$HOME/.kshist.$$

  trap "rm -f $HISTFILE" HUP EXIT

--
Dan Mercer

If responding by email, include the phrase 'from usenet'
in the subject line to avoid spam filtering.

Quote:

> to resolve out to be my .kshist file with the process id of the shell I was
> running appended to the end.

> This seems to work fine and I get the functionality I was looking for except
> that there could
> potentially be many .kshist.pid files laying around even after I exit my
> xterm window.

> Does anyone know of a way in HP-UX that when I exit the xterm or shell that
> the associated
> $HOME/.kshist.pid file can be automatically removed?

> Any ideas is appreciated.

> Thank you!

1. Difference between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20

Hello,

what are the differences between HP-UX 10.10 and HP-UX 10.20?

I ask because one of our customers want to evalute our software
(which was developed on 10.10) on HP-UX 10.20. Is there full
backward compatibility?

Thanks for your helps

        Rainer

Rainer Freis    -       Systemadministrator

santix software GmbH
Max-Planck-Str. 7
D-85716 Unterschleissheim

Phone: (+49) 89 321506-24
Fax  : (+49) 89 321506-99

You don't know what real time-critical software is until
you're responsible for the paychecks of a battalion of
heavily armed Marines.

        (somebody in alt.sysadmin.recovery)

2. C header differences between RH 6.2 and 7.2?

3. Restricted shells in HP-UX 10.20 (rksh)

4. effective-user file creation

5. Help! - Restricted shells in HP-UX 10.20 (rksh)

6. The Invisible Xman (pages)

7. Restricted shells in HP-UX 10.20 (rksh)

8. Ethernet card setup

9. Create Boot Files for HP-UX 10.20

10. How to undelete a files in HP-UX 10.20

11. /usr: write failed, file system is full (HP-UX 10.20)

12. HP-UX 10.20 and Max File Sizes

13. File size in HP-UX 10.20