<None>

Post by ** Sender Unknown * » Wed, 22 Jul 1992 07:01:17

        comp.sys.ibm.pc, comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc

Subject: Unix on a PC.

Sender: Rob Payne <repayne>

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 15:58:15 EDT

I am sorry if this goes to one or more of the wrong places.

I am looking for a version of Unix that will run on a PC (probably
486/50 or so, but it would be nice if it ran on a 386sx for the time
being.)  I was wondering what versions are out there and what comes
with each?  If you have used some of these versions, one or more, and
have a good idea of what they will do, please let me know what your
thoughts on this are.  Things that I am looking for specifically:

        Space constraints aren't TOO important but I don't necessarily
want anything that is going to take gig's to set up.
        Support for X-windows would be very nice.  (my system will
have SVGA so I guess SVGA-X support would be nice.)
        What does anyone know of GNU portage, do GNU products port to
the DOS versions of UNIX?  This would be especially nice.

        Anything else that you can think of, let me know. (things I
could check into, products that I should avoid, etc.)

                          Thanks in advance.

                                 -Rob

1. <None>

I've been using Linux for several months now, and realized that I do
not get the PCI bridge optimization messages that I should be. I DO
have the optimizations turned on in the kernel, but right after the
BIO32 extensions are found at boot time, nothing else is done with PCI
it seems.

Someone had posted a message a while back, which included several
lines of PCI bridge opimizations (post writes, etc). My mother board
is a Super Micro CWS P55. (Triton chip set). I've used kernels 1.2.5
to 1.2.13 and all lack the "right" messages, telling me that my PCI
set-up maybe isn't being utilized a well as it could be.

Please e-mail all reaspones.

Derek

--
+---------------------------+-----------------+-----------+
|  Mechanical Engineering   | P90/Wide SCSI II|   Open    |

|  Finger Lark for PGP key  |17" Nanao F2-17EX|DOS/Win/OS2|
|   PGP mail *encouraged*   | HP LaserJet 5MP |  *LINUX*  |

2. kpilot and port com

3. <none>

4. sulist ?

5. Help: "crc error" on boot.