Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Yves DORFSM » Thu, 15 Jul 1993 18:01:39

Hi,

I'm looking for a shareware Unix. I've seen a doc about Linux which seems
quite good.

Has anybody got experience of that ?

Any sugestions ?

Thanks.

--
Yves.

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Guido van Roo » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 18:49:14

There is Linux and 386BSD. Linux runs on 386 machines, as does
386bsd. Then there is NetBSD. This certainly runs on i386 machines
and ports are on the way for amiga, mac, hp300 and others.
You should try them and make up yor mind on what you like most.
I don;'t know where you can find Linux's main site.
For 386BSD it is freefall.cdrom.com
for NetBSD it is sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu

-Guido

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Ryan Re » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 17:52:28

--

Linux is available via anonymous ftp from tsx-11.mit.edu

/***************************************************************/
/* Ryan Reed               Microwave Earth Remote Sensing Lab  */
/* 484 CB                  Brigham Young University            */
/* (801) 378-4884          Provo, Utah  84602                  */

/***************************************************************/

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Ken Naka » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 02:49:25

>I'm looking for a shareware Unix. I've seen a doc about Linux which seems
>quite good.

Sorry but there's no *shareware* UNIX.  Nor does free *UNIX* exits.

But as someone else responded, there are several things look like
UNIX which you can get for free; Linux, 386BSD and NetBSD.
I'm almost sure that Linux has the largest number of users.
Personally, I'm a very happy user of NetBSD (and was a very happy
user of 386BSD).
These systems all have its own flavors, so it would be nice for you
to try all first, then decide.

Ken Nakata
--
* I apologize if there are misuses of and/or impolite words or phrases in this
mail or post. They are not intended; I don't fully understand certain words or

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Jason Ti » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 13:02:42

Article 57267 (26 more) in comp.unix.questions:

Subject: Re: Shareware Unix: Linux etc...
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 09:49:14 GMT

There is Linux and 386BSD. Linux runs on 386 machines, as does
386bsd. Then there is NetBSD. This certainly runs on i386 machines
and ports are on the way for amiga, mac, hp300 and others.
You should try them and make up yor mind on what you like most.
I don;'t know where you can find Linux's main site.
For 386BSD it is freefall.cdrom.com
for NetBSD it is sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu

-Guido

--------------------

In U.S. try tsx-11.mit.edu for the latest version of linux.
Many machines mirror linux too- including wuarchive.wustl.edu.
For applications, I will recommend sunsite.unc.edu.

For more information, one can susbscribe to the following newsgroups:
    comp.os.linux &
    comp.os.linux.announce

Hope this helps!
--

"if you don't know exactly why you want NT, you don't want NT."
-> Try Linux (available: wuarchive.wustl.edu, tsx-11.mit.edu, sunsite.unc.edu

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Michael Gerhar » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 20:24:38

> I'm looking for a shareware Unix. I've seen a doc about Linux which seems
> quite good.

Look into comp.os.linux and comp.os.linux.announce for Linux and into
comp.os.386bsd.* for the other free Unix-like OS

Besides, Linux is no shareware.

Michael
--

                         *  Preussenstrasse 59  *  Data : 0049 2131 80923  *
                         * Germany  41464 Neuss *  Login guest, no passwd  *

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Yves DORFSM » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 22:05:21

I know where to find Linux: A company is advertising it for GBP69.00
(less than USD100), and claim that it's got everything like X-Windows,
Compiler etc...

Is it the case w/ the others ?

Anybody else got some experience of those different product ?

Comments ?

Yves DORFSMAN

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by hagger » Sun, 18 Jul 1993 11:31:58

>I know where to find Linux: A company is advertising it for GBP69.00
>(less than USD100), and claim that it's got everything like X-Windows,
>Compiler etc...
>Is it the case w/ the others ?
>Anybody else got some experience of those different product ?

>Comments ?

>Thanks,
>--
>Yves DORFSMAN

 There is no need to pay a company to get Linux. It is freely
available under the terms of the GNU Public Licence from a number of
FTP sites. The main ones are tsx-11.mit.edu, sunsite.unc.edu and
nic.funet.fi, but many sites mirror these, so you can probably find
one that is closer to you.

Linux is a free version of Unix, written by Linus Torvalds.
It is mostly source compatable with other UNIXes (I know of people
who have taken source they wrote on their Sun and compiled it on
a Linux box with no problems). It comes with kernel SOURCE CODE,
as it is under the GPL, and is an amazingly well writen kernel
- Thanks Linus :-)

Linux has XFree86 (X11R5), Motif is available for around $200 US if
you want/need it, but there are _many_ other window managers
available free.

The excellent C compiler gcc is available free, as is C++, an assembler,
lisp (I think), fortran (well, f2c) plus bison,yacc,make etc. I think
there are a few other languages available as well.

Nearly everything you would expect to find on a comercial UNIX can
be found in Linux. TCP/IP is there, but is not quite as solid as
some would like (but many are using it without problems).

Ftp a file called INFO-SHEET from one of the Linux ftp sites. It
gives a much better run down of what Linux is than I could.

Sorry - I really don't know much about BSD / (NET/2)

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by hagger » Sun, 18 Jul 1993 13:51:35

> There is no need to pay a company to get Linux. It is freely
>available under the terms of the GNU Public Licence from a number of
>FTP sites. The main ones are tsx-11.mit.edu, sunsite.unc.edu and
>nic.funet.fi, but many sites mirror these, so you can probably find
>one that is closer to you.

BTW - If you do want to get Linux from a company for whatever reason
(there are some advantages to doing it this way) you should take a
look at Softlanding Software (SLS). They make an excellent and very
popular release, and offer support.

        Softlanding Software
        910 Lodge Ave.
        Victoria, B.C., Canada
        V8X-3A8
        (604) 360-0188,  FAX (604) 385-1292

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Anthropohedr » Wed, 21 Jul 1993 00:01:09

>>I'm looking for a shareware Unix. I've seen a doc about Linux which seems
>>quite good.

>Sorry but there's no *shareware* UNIX.  Nor does free *UNIX* exits.

>But as someone else responded, there are several things look like
>UNIX which you can get for free; Linux, 386BSD and NetBSD.
>I'm almost sure that Linux has the largest number of users.
>Personally, I'm a very happy user of NetBSD (and was a very happy
>user of 386BSD).
>These systems all have its own flavors, so it would be nice for you
>to try all first, then decide.

What makes an OS UNIX, rather than just UNIX-like? This is not a flame... I
may be looking into these things in the future and need to know.

Quote:

>Ken Nakata
>--
>* I apologize if there are misuses of and/or impolite words or phrases in this
>mail or post. They are not intended; I don't fully understand certain words or
>each nuance of a phrase.    Any corrections for either English compositions or
>contents are greatly appreciated.  Thank you.  Ken Nakata, CIS student, NJIT *

--Greg

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Rennie All » Wed, 21 Jul 1993 02:34:07

                   +-----------------------+-- edits for legal reasons
                   |                       |

Quote:>What makes an OS U**X, rather than just U**X-like? This is not a flame... I
>may be looking into these things in the future and need to know.

Well POSIX 1003.1 and 1003.2 for starters.  Then a SYSV compatibility library
and a BSD compatibility library, and that should about do it (i.e. you will be
able to compile code written for U**X with little or no modification).

Some people might claim that it's not U**X unless it's binary compatible in
this case some sort of ABI support would be required, there is some ABI called
iBSV (something or other) for intel architecture....

QUICS: rgallen (613) 591-0934                 34 Riverstone Rd.
Voice: (204) 339-8005                         Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R2V 4B2
Fax:   (204) 488-5943

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Wolfgang Sander-Beuerma » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 19:40:28

> I'm looking for a shareware Unix. I've seen a doc about Linux which seems
> quite good.
> Has anybody got experience of that ?
> Any sugestions ?

This followup posting is done with a Linux system, and I just can tell
you: Linux works really great! From my experiences it works even better
than the most commercial Intel Unixes.  I'm running it for three month
now and never had any crashes or bad behaviour, which is pretty normal
to others.

Shareware Unix: Linux etc...

Post by Michael Gerhar » Wed, 21 Jul 1993 05:32:43

> What makes an OS UNIX, rather than just UNIX-like? This is not a flame... I
> may be looking into these things in the future and need to know.

If you buy the licence from the USL ( now Novell & USL - Univell ? ), you
could say 'UNIX'. If you write your own OS, which works, feels and behaves
like Unix, you're not allowed to name it Unix because of the missing
licence. ( Examples are Linux, COHERENT, Minix, etc )

Michael
--

Post by Francisco X DeJes » Sun, 25 Jul 1993 08:48:57

>>>I'm looking for a shareware Unix. I've seen a doc about Linux which seems
>>>quite good.

>>Sorry but there's no *shareware* UNIX.  Nor does free *UNIX* exits.

>>But as someone else responded, there are several things look like
>>UNIX which you can get for free; Linux, 386BSD and NetBSD.
>What makes an OS UNIX, rather than just UNIX-like? This is not a flame... I
>may be looking into these things in the future and need to know.

My own general feelings about this is that if you can run all your Unix
apps on it, and really can't tell the difference, it's Unix. For me, Linux
is Unix. For someone whose one major Unix program won't run under Linux,
it won't be Unix. It all depends on what you want to do with it...

I seriously doubt you can get everyone to agree on what a REAL Unix
is, in objective terms. Each person will say "<X> is the only REAL
Unix!"... and just as a coincidence, <X> happens to be the one flavor
the person is most confortable with and/or runs on whatever they use.
Let's not start a religious flame war about this, eh?

PS: One of my rules of thumb: to be a real Unix, it _has_ to include a C
    compiler, therefore Solaris 2.x is disqualified! 8^) (ok ok, so this
    *may* be a bit of a biased view coming from a programmer type! :)

  * disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are mine. Typos and errors are yours *
 "Duck Season!" "Rabbit Season!" "...rabbit season." "It's Duck Season! SHOOT!"

1. Linux/Unix Shareware Q's...

        I was wondering can anybody tell me how much disk space of the
shareware version of Linux/Unix.  And, also, I was wondering if anyone can tell
me where I could download a version if it.

Thanks...

Lawrence P. Hui

2. Tux should be a goat

3. UPDATE:~Official Shareware Developers Web Pages (More Shareware)

4. command substitution using sed

5. LINUX, 3COM ImpactIQ, ISDN, etc, etc, etc...

6. A DNS Problem

7. Converting Pegasus Mail folders etc. to Unix mbox etc

8. Looking for AIM client for LinuxPPC

9. SHAREWARE - Unix utility shell scripts

10. Shareware for RADIUS/TACACS UNIX version