Problems reading from a serial line

Post by Enzo De Flori » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I encountered a weird problem collecting characters coming from a serial line.
Though I used both a C code and the common Unix "cat" command to redirect io,
the problems still raise. That's it: the transmitter sends a certain amount of
ata, the receiver gets some of the characters but seems to loose consecutive
chunks of characters, not necessarily the first ones; this happens in the very
irst moments of the process, during the transfer of the first, say, 256 bytes.
Did you ever experience problems like this? May you suggest me what to do?

Thanks a lot,
 - Vincenzo De Florio

Problems reading from a serial line

Post by Enzo De Flori » Sat, 29 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I encountered a weird problem collecting characters coming from a serial line.
Though I used both a C code and the common Unix "cat" command to redirect io,
the problems still raise. That's it: the transmitter sends a certain amount of
ata, the receiver gets some of the characters but seems to loose consecutive
chunks of characters, not necessarily the first ones; this happens in the very
irst moments of the process, during the transfer of the first, say, 256 bytes.
Did you ever experience problems like this? May you suggest me what to do?

Thanks a lot,
 - Vincenzo De Florio

1. Weird problem: reading printer output from serial line

Hello,

I have got to get the data of a database which is stored on an old
Unisys computer running CTOS. The computer doesnt have a floppy
drive and I also dont know that operaring system. Despite that, the
computer launches an user specific application immediate after booting
so that I dont have a chance to manually copy any files.

My idea was now to print the records of the database from the
application (thats no problem) and to "fake" the printer (a Fujitsu
DL-2400 pinwriter) by my Linux box. Fortunately the printer is
connected by a serial cable so that I can connect the two mashines
with a zero modem cable (is that the correct word? Sorry, my native
language is German). I tried this yesterday and it seems to work: my
terminal program "minicom" shows "Online" when the connection is made
and "Offline" when it is disconnected. However, no data were
transmitted (at least I couldnt see any in my terminal programm, nor
by using 'tail +0 -f /dev/modem', the device the cable was connected
to).

What I am now looking for is a way/program for actually READ IN the
data printed to my computer (I expect problems with the handshake).

Does someone have an idea which program I could use for this task?

Thanks in advance.

Michael Wein

Is "Windows for Dummies" another case of "this sentence no verb?"

2. EtherExpress NIC and RH

3. read from stdin while reading line by line a file

4. "exec >& debug.txt" in TCSH Shellscript

5. line by line reading of the lines in list

6. lex/flex-problem scanning file many times

7. line by line without using echo "$i" | while read line?

8. sed trouble (how to generate ./../.. from ./foo/bar/baz.sh)

9. REQ: Code to read Serial port signal lines

10. How to read printer′s output FROM a serial line

11. Skim 0.1: news reading package optimized for slow serial lines.

12. Reading from serial line -> scp to server?

13. serial line reading