Opinions on Intel-based UNIX packages

Post by Preston Bea » Fri, 01 Oct 1993 12:39:43

Dear Netland,
  I have a project which is going on at my workplace which will be
allowing us to have UNIX.  The boss has decided that the best
(i.e. cheapest) way to do so would be to run UNIX off of a 486
machine.  I need to find out opinions on what the best package
of intel-based UNIX there exists.  We have already looked a
bit at SCO but I am just seeing what else is out there. I
would need a package which would be able to handle TCP/IP
as well. Please give your opinions as well as any problems some
of the packages have. I would also be interested in phone numbers/
addresses from which I can get more information on each of the
different packages available. Please help me if possible.
Thanks in advance.

p.s. Please email replys since I am not always able to get to
the USENET groups in time to see responses. Thank you.

1. Status Of Binary Compatibility Between Intel-Based UNIX

Can someone give me the status of the Intel-proposed standard for
binary compatibility for programs run on UNIX implementations
that run on the Intel architecture?

When will the following vendors supply a UNIX implementation that
complies with this standard:

        - SCO
        - Interactive
        - Sun (i.e., the PC-based SunOS that SunSoft just announced)
        - GNU (Free Software Foundation)

Thanks,

2. bandwidth limitation

3. X For Intel-Based Unix BOF at Xhibition '93

4. ksh and history

5. Selecting Unix for Intel-based server

6. non-printing characters in X, xterm, csh, etc...

7. Opinions on Intel Unix and News?

8. Help: 1.3 Kernels won't work with my computer

9. any Unix-based CD-R packages?

10. X-based modem package for Unix?

11. CORRECTION: X-For-Intel-Based-Unix BOF at Xhibition '93 (hopefully)

12. Good intel based unix for mail/news server?

13. Best Intel based Unix for Apache?