-recovering data from corrupted tape->a Referral

-recovering data from corrupted tape->a Referral

Post by john bartol; excel; 421-43 » Thu, 03 Jun 1993 07:40:35

A recent poster (lost the post, sorry) mentioned he needed to recover data from
a tape which had been accidentally 'tar'red over.

I had mentioned I knew of a company which might be able to help. I have decided
to post their address (at least the address they had when I used their
services 1.5 years ago. It might save someone the agony I went through trying to
find them.

Vogon Enterprises
94 Gasthampstead Rd.
Wokingham, Berkshire
RG112JD, England
Contact: Sally Stevenson
Phone: 44+(0)734-890042
             734-784511
Fax:         734-890040

I believe they can work with most, if not all, types of tape media. It is not a
cheap service (400-500 pounds/ 8hr.shift) but if you absolutely must have your
tape reconstructed, or data retrieved, it may be worthwhile.

If you have any questions about my experience with them, give me an e-mail
shout.

If you feel that this was an unwarranted use of bandwidth, then flame me...
BUT, I think this was justified.

John Bartol.  Zadall Systems Group Inc., Burnaby B.C., Canada

1. Recovering data from corrupted tar file(on tape)

Here's my story, i was gonna do another backup using tar
to my tape drive and was gonna check what was on the tape.
I was supposed to do a "tar -tvf /dev/nrmt0" but i accidently
typed "tar -cvf /dev/nrmt0".  Anyway, now my tape drive
complains "tar: can't open /dev/nrmt0 : I/O error".
I guess i must have corrupted the first part of the
archive since i realized it a few seconds later and hit ctrl-c.
I prefer to be able to read the rest of the files on the tape
as i hardly want to lose my backup.  I tried messing with mt
but that didn't help much(maybe coz i didn't really know what
to use).  Anyway, any help on how i could recover my data
would be great.  Reply ASAP as i need to make another backup of my
driver RSN.  Reply here or mail me at the below email.

-Alex

--

2. Printing Issue.

3. >> Need HELP recovering tar data!

4. Lenux

5. recover data from big massive corrupted tar file

6. Announce new software

7. Recovering data from corrupt tar file?

8. pThreads,...

9. Recovering deliberately corrupted (gzip) data/files ??

10. How to recover data on corrupted hard disk?

11. Recover corrupt tar tape???

12. Recovering data from a DAT tape with EOD mark at start

13. Recovering data from a mangled tape