Opening window from remote comp

Post by scriptOmati » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:42:00

> Hi,

> If I connect to my school's linux server from home and I try to launch some
> window-based program like this, I get an error:

> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

What kind of home computer are you running??? Windows or UNIX?
If UNIX, it will work if on your home computer you enter
        xhost +
and on the school computer you set the DISPLAY variable.

If your home computer is running Windows, you must get an Xwindows
program for your home machine.  YOu can purchase an Xwindows environment
or, i think, there is open source.

Quote:

--
http://ftp.opensysmon.com is a shell script archive site with an
open source system monitoring and network monitoring software package.

Opening window from remote comp

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:03:04

in comp.unix.questions i read:

>> If I connect to my school's linux server from home and I try to launch
>> some window-based program like this, I get an error:

>> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

the reason is that your system isn't running an x server or you haven't set
the DISPLAY environment variable.

Quote:>    xhost +

don't do this, as it allows anyone to make use of your x server, which is
far too dangerous in nearly every case.

Opening window from remote comp

Post by Tim Hammerquis » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 04:50:33

Tricia McMillan graced us by uttering:

Quote:> If I connect to my school's linux server from home and I try to
> launch some window-based program like this, I get an error:

> xterm Xt error: Can't open display:

> But is there any way it is possible to open windows from my
> home computer, or am I asking for too much?

You don't say how you connect to your schools computer, but I
certainly hope it's via ssh.  Not only is ssh encrypted, but it
can also automatically forward all the information need to run
remote X apps on the local DISPLAY, provided both server and
client have this feature enabled.

On your school's linux computer, check the contents of the
/etc/ssh/sshd_config file and see if it contains the line
"X11Forwarding yes".  If so, you're in business from the server
side.

Next you need an ssh client also capable of forwarding X11
information.  If your home computer runs linux or bsd, you
probably had OpenSSH.  At this point, it's just a matter of
adding the -X flag to the ssh command line, or adding
"X11Forwarding yes" to your local ~/.ssh/config file.

After logging in this way via ssh with X11 forwarding enabled on
both server and client, your DISPLAY variable should be set to
something like "localhost:10"; this will forward all X
information through your encrypted ssh tunnel.  This is the
simplest way I know of to securely display remote apps on a local
display.

If your home computer is Windows or another non-OS, there is hope
in cygwin <http://cygwin.com>.  cygwin is a POSIXish environment
which sits on top of Windows and provides many GNU tools familiar
to linux and unix users... including an X server!

There may be some manual configuration required after installing
all the required packages, depending on which packages you
install.  If you type "startx" at the cygwin bash prompt and it
(eventually) brings up a large window with an xterm or other
non-windows apps inside it, you have an X server.

Configure the cygwin ssh client to forward X info (a la "-X" or
"X11Forwarding yes") and login to your school.  Provided, as
above, your schools ssh server provides X11 forwarding, the
remote app should be displayed on your local X "display".

There are other X servers for Windows, but all the others I've
heard about are commercial.  However, since cygwin is still rough
and largely unsupported, you may want to shell out money for a
smoother X server on Win32.

HTH.
Tim Hammerquist
--
Do you replace the battery with a grapefruit when your car won't
start, just in case that's the problem?

http://www.xs4all.nl/~zweije/xauth.html

Post by Mirk » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 03:58:15

Quote:>>        xhost +

> don't do this, as it allows anyone to make use of your x server, which is
> far too dangerous in nearly every case.

right, only allow hosts you are connecting from:
run `xhost <ip_of_remote_host>'

--

SDF - Super Dimensional Fortress
Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

Post by Mirk » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 04:06:15

Quote:>>        xhost +

> don't do this, as it allows anyone to make use of your x server, which is
> far too dangerous in nearly every case.

that's right .. to limit it to trusted hosts give xhost the IP:
run `xhost <ip_of_trusted_hosts>'