Good Book for learning Sun UNIX

Post by Bill Re » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I just started a job as a software engineer.  The company that I am now
working for uses Mac's, PC's, ALPHA's, and SUN boxes.  I know all but the OS's
but UNIX.  I need a good book to help me plod through SUN Unix.  I know VMS.

thanks,

Bill

Post by Will Mor » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

>I just started a job as a software engineer.  The company that I am now
>working for uses Mac's, PC's, ALPHA's, and SUN boxes.  I know all but the OS's
>but UNIX.  I need a good book to help me plod through SUN Unix.  I know VMS.

>thanks,

>Bill

We talk about this a lot in my Unix classes.  The best books on ANYTHING
in Unix are THIN and CHEAP.  The man pages are THIN and CHEAP. Start
with the man pages and work your way up.  Start with man Intro, then
maybe man man, and work your way up.  If this is not enough, find the
thinest and cheapest Unix book at your bookstore and try that.  Unix
is astonishingly elegant and understandable if you look for the
underlying simplicity.  If you try to memorize fat books, you will
miss all the elegance.

One hint.  Do not extrapolate what you know of VMS to Unix.  They are
extremely different.

A second hint.  C-shell is an aboration in Unix.  You can use it if you
want, but don't learn using it.  Learn using the Bourne shell because
it is more typical of Unix thinking.  Then use csh if you must (or
MUCH better, get bash)

Will
--
#      Gravity,                    #    Will Morse
#      not just a good idea,       #    BHP Petroleum (Americas) Inc.

#
#   These are my views and do not necessarly reflect the views of BHP !

Good Book for learning Sun UNIX

Post by Ferdinand N. Ahlbe » Sat, 18 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I just started a job as a software engineer.  The company that I am now
> working for uses Mac's, PC's, ALPHA's, and SUN boxes.  I know all but the OS's
> but UNIX.  I need a good book to help me plod through SUN Unix.  I know VMS.

> thanks,

> Bill

Sun's "AnswerBook" is an on-line interactive program containing mucho
Sun dcumantation.  It is an invaluable resource.

--

///////////////////////////////////////
//                                   //

//     603.337.2592                  //
//                                   //
///////////////////////////////////////

1. Any Good Books To Learn Unix??

  Help Please

  I would like to learn unix (hear there are lots of jobs??) and was
wondering if there was any way to run unix while running Win. 95. For
example could you make a directory to put unix in and play around with.
Or maybe a second hard drive on same machine and switch over to it to
learn unix. Or will I need a second  P.C.??

  Also would anyone know of any good books or videos from which to help
learn Unix??

  Thanks

  Terry

2. linux Rmon?

3. What is good book for learning SCO Unix

4. NT Mess Up Linux Partition

5. Good books to learn UNIX (Linux) Administration?

6. reading tar-archives, QIC-150, SGI <--> Linux

7. Wanting to learn unix.... Know a good book?

8. Linux on CTX Notebook

9. Learning UNIX- Need a good book reference

10. Any Good Books To Learn Unix??

11. Which is the good book for Unix Admin book ?

12. good shell-script learning book wanted