Kernal, What actually is it ???

Post by Chew, Elto » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi all, allow me to ask a newbie question.

What actually is a Kernal??? I know that its the core of an OS, the agent
which sits between the hardware and the applications (correct me if i am
wrong).
But that's not all. How/where can i get more info on this topic? Any good
books/URLs to recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Kernal, What actually is it ???

Post by Barry Margoli » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

>What actually is a Kernal??? I know that its the core of an OS, the agent
>which sits between the hardware and the applications (correct me if i am
>wrong).
>But that's not all. How/where can i get more info on this topic? Any good
>books/URLs to recommend?

That's basically what the kernel is.  There are some books that describe
the details of Unix kernels, such as "Magic Garden Explained".  There are
also more generic textbooks that explain operating system principles; any
bookstore with a decent computer science section should have them, or you
can look for them on amazon.com.

1. Question: How can I tell what kernal I am presently running?

I have a Linux box that is our firewall and I have to make some adjustments
to it. How can I tell which kernal I am presently running?

Also, on the Linux box I am running the firewall with IP Masqing and I need
to add a couple of static IP routes to it for my mail and other programs. I
have been told that the best way is to use IPMASQADM. Is this the best way
to forward from one IP scheme to another? Where is the best documentation on
this subject?

Thank you for any help,

Andy Richards

2. typeo

3. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

4. xwin32

5. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

6. libthread panic

7. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial

8. Linux-Friendly ISP in North Carolina

9. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

10. Newest kernal ? latest kernal for redhat install

11. ...FreeBSD kernal vs Linux ( say slackware... ) kernal.

12. BOOT KERNAL WORKS, INSTALLED KERNAL FAILS :(

13. Network dies under Kernal 2.2.5-15 & 22 -- Kernal BUG??