NOHUP Question

Post by John S. Hwa » Thu, 29 Jul 1993 04:06:54

How long can a job run (using the nohup command) after logout??  I'm
trying to run a job, but it keeps on timing out (and I need it to run
longer).  Assuming I do *not* want to stay logged in the whole time,
what is the "theoretical" limit my job will keep running using nohup??

Thanks!!

NOHUP Question

Post by Christoph Badu » Thu, 29 Jul 1993 08:04:01

Quote:>I'm
>trying to run a job, but it keeps on timing out (and I need it to run
>longer).

What exactly do you mean by "it keeps on timing out"?

Quote:> Assuming I do *not* want to stay logged in the whole time,
>what is the "theoretical" limit my job will keep running using nohup??

nohup doesn't impose any limit whatsoever on how long a job can keep
running.

If you know beforehand that you want to run a job and not stay logged
in all the time start it with batch(1) or "at now + 1 min" if batch
isn't available.

--

Personally, I don't care whether someone is cool enough to quote Doug
Gwyn--I only care whether Doug Gwyn is cool enough to quote. -- Larry Wall

1. nohup question

I wish to use nohup to generate a numerical database. So nohup is the
choice. Like this:
        nohup myprogram > nohup.out 2>&1 &
When I logout and login again to check, myprogram is not running
there.

Any one had similiar experience? It seems that nohup is not working as
intended.

Jinsong Zhao

2. Octave Port - Memory Leak

3. Nohup Question

4. scsi zip problems

5. Nohup question

6. fcntl.h consolidation 7/18

7. nohup question...

8. newbie wants to know: What is athena widgets?

9. Nohup question

10. a nohup question?

11. nohup question

12. Nohup question