/etc/utmp not updated, why ?

Post by Ping Zh » Mon, 06 Apr 1992 12:54:43

We have a few SUNs (running OS4.1.x) which from time to time doesn't update
the /etc/utmp file when users log out or being "killed", leading to a few
"ghost" processes when w command is issued.  Could someone please explain to
me what the likely cause is and how to eradicate this problem ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Ping
--
                    Put Your Quotes Here.

1. Getting xdm to update /etc/utmp

We are running xdm on our RISC/6000 with a couple of X-stations.
We've noticed that logging in at the xdm login screen doesn't result
in an entry in /etc/utmp. This is the file used by who and finger
to get user login status. An rlogin does update properly, though.
I checked through the sources for xdm and found a program called
sessreg that can be called from Xstartup when xdm initiates a
session. The man page for sessreg describes using it under BSD
and System V. Has anyone gotten it to work for xdm under AIX?
Do *your* sessions show up if you run who? Are you calling anything
from /usr/lib/X11/xdm/Xstartup ? Are you even using an Xstartup file?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Justin D. Bukowski                 |                                |
University of California           | I feel like an alien,          |

2. where can I find gnuplot?

3. ?? using sessreg and xterm +ut to update /etc/utmp

4. Gigabyte GA-586TX2 and ATAPI cd-rom

5. xterms not updating utmp

6. Slackware/Linux install problems

7. utmp not updating

8. problem w Linux boot disks

9. utmp not updated after rsh

10. xterms not updating utmp

11. xterm not updating utmp on exit

12. in.ttysnoopd not updating utmp on exit ?

13. utmp not getting updated correctly when a user logs out