Help extract files from tape

Post by Mike Garv » Sun, 10 Jul 1994 13:58:23

I've inherited an 8 mm QIC format tape that was written using an Exabyte
8500 5GB drive and tar (v4.0).  I need to be able to extract files from
this tape and convert them to DOS and would like to know how I should
proceed.  Obtaining hardware (i.e. an Exabyte or other drive capable of
physically reading this tape) isn't a problem, I just to need to come up
with a plan of action.

Could this be done with Linux or any other Intel UNIX, provided I supply
the drive?  Any help at all would be appreciated.

Mike

Technical Resources Director
The PCMAC Consultants              "Now with patented Hinder-90" -=- MST3K

1. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories

For example, if I have foo.tar.gz consisting of:

foo/
    bar/
      baz/
        file1.png

What (GNU) tar options do I have to use to extract the file 'file1.png'
to ~/tmp without the directory hierarchy 'foo/bar/baz'?

Something like:

   $ tar zx ~/tmp/file1.png f foo.tar.gz   #This does not work...

Should produce:

~/tmp/
    file1.png

Any thoughts?

TIA,

    Erik.

2. Trying to use while in ksh shell script

3. Extracting files with a specific pattern only, from a tarred tape?

4. Ok, I read through this group

5. Extracting files with specific pattern from a tarred tape?

6. 16650 UART support ?

7. Extracting Files from a Linux Tape on a Broken Linux

8. sudo rights on a specific subdirectory

9. extracting files on tar'd 8mm tape

10. how extract cpio files from a remote tape

11. tar question: how do I extract some files without extracting directories.

12. extracting a tar file that is not on a tape drive?

13. Easy question on extracting files from a tape