using command substitution from inittab?

using command substitution from inittab?

Post by rob.. » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Hi, I execute a script from inittab passing one or two arguments.

The script needs to call "oraenv" which sets up an ORACLE_HOME environment variable
by using command subsitution with another script that it calls called dbhome that
echos out the path.

Anyway, if I do

ORACLE_HOME=`dbhome $ORACLE_SID`

echo $ORACLE_HOME > /tmp/somefile

when ever this script is executed from inittab there's nothing in $ORACLE_HOME.

NOTE: I can replace dbhome with a script like this

#! /bin/sh

echo robert

I'd expect to see "robert" in the /tmp/somefile but it too has nothing in it.

So, is this related to the lack of a terminal from inittab or something?

I mean earlier today I got _comments_ from my script appearing in my environment
under HP/UX which seemed very strange.

--
You are amazed that they exist and they burn so
bright whilst you can only wonder why.

1. Command Substitution within Parameter Substitution?

Hi,

(GNU bash, version 2.05b.0(1)-release (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu).)

Is it possible, in the above version of BASH, to have (a) command
substitution(s) within (a) parameter substitution(s)?  I tried the
following in a BASH script:

gqview ${$( cat $HOME/mydisplay_return )#*\ }

and it didn't work.  The above code line was to execute GQview (an image
viewer) with the name of an image file that was stored, on it's own, in a
file called 'mydisplay_return', hence the 'cat' command to get at the image
file name.  The file name stored in the 'mydisplay_return' file was
prefixed with an identifying number followed by a space, hence the '#*\ '
parameter substitution to just leave the file name.  But it doesn't work.
What's wrong?

Yours,
Gary Hayward.

2. lastcomm and the /var/pacct files

3. command substitution using sed

4. CCEVS Interpretation Mailing Lists

5. Command substitution in rsh-command

6. BinkleyTerm

7. Substitution within substitution- Is it possible?

8. Newish MMORPG development

9. nested command substitution in csh

10. Problem: Command substitution adds an extra carriage return character on return.

11. Newbie question: Nested command substitution???

12. command substitution

13. Multi-line command substitution (csh)