yacc and pointless violence

Post by Walter E. Po » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 03:35:00

        I'm trying to learn the program yacc, and I decided the best way
would be to type in hoc1 from Kernighan and Pike's "The Unix Programming
Enviroment."  So, it compiles and all fine.  So, I run it, and it gives
me "illegal instruction - core dumped".
        Has anyone else tried using yacc on this particular piece of code?
(pg. 237-240 from K&P)  Can anyone tell me what may be going wrong?  I'm
running under System V on a 3b2.
        If no one can help me with this, I'm going to take red hot knitting
needles and plunging them into my eyes.

yacc and pointless violence

Post by Doug Gwy » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 05:11:00

Quote:>Has anyone else tried using yacc on this particular piece of code [hoc]?

Yes, "hoc" worked okay when I built it.  I also got the source directly
from BWK and there were only something like two tiny diffs between his
and the one I had typed in.  I don't recall if any of the diffs could
be significant.

The thing to do with a core dump is to run a de* on it to see what
happened!

Give me a real network address, not a UUCP path, and I'll mail you the
version we're running.

yacc and pointless violence

Post by j eric townse » Mon, 02 Jul 1990 19:47:00

Quote:

>    I'm trying to learn the program yacc, and I decided the best way
> would be to type in hoc1 from Kernighan and Pike's "The Unix Programming
> Enviroment."  So, it compiles and all fine.  So, I run it, and it gives
> me "illegal instruction - core dumped".

I'm currently trying the same thing (learning YACC).  I suggest:

_Introduction to Compiler Construction With UNIX_
Axel T. Schreiner, H. George Friedman, Jr.
Prentice-Hall, Inc.
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
--
Skate UNIX or go home, boogie boy...
J. Eric Townsend ->uunet!nuchat!flatline!erict smail:511Parker#2,Hstn,Tx,77007

1. YACC + YACC = YACC

Hi,

I'd like to use YACC and LEX twice in an executable. I'd like to read
two different file formats at different times in the program. I link
two objects, each created by yacc. The later object overwrites the
previous definitions.

Is there any way to make the yacc funtions unique?

-frank

Concurrent Technologies Corp.
1450 Scalp Avenue                       Phone:  (814) 269-2650
Johnstown, PA 15904                     Fax:    (814) 269-2402

2. U160 on Adaptec 39160

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. MX Record setup

5. YACC Attack -- Please try YACC'ing this.

6. su problems

7. 2.4.21-rc1 pointless IDE noise reduction

8. cryptoapi 2.5->2.4 backport

9. word processing, and some other pointless rants

10. Journaling pointless with today's hard disks?

11. Pointless....

12. Advocacy is useless, and pointless...

13. At what (Slower) CPU Speed is a Gig-E NIC pointless?