Is there something like 'shutdownrc' at SunOS 4.1 ?

Is there something like 'shutdownrc' at SunOS 4.1 ?

Post by Vincent Smee » Fri, 24 May 1991 20:20:19

I am using SunOS 4.1 and I want to execute some commands just before
the system is going down (shuting down Oracle and Teamwork). Is there
something like a 'shutdownrc' file that will be executed wenn the
shutdowntime has elapsed?

I have looked at the 'shutdown' program itself, but that is no
shellscript so I can't change anything.

Please use mail to replay to me, because news has to catch up 2 weeks. :-{

Thanks in advance, V. Smeets

Post by der Mou » Sun, 26 May 1991 21:25:37

> I am using SunOS 4.1 and I want to execute some commands just before
> the system is going down (shuting down Oracle and Teamwork).

That's why shutting down sends a SIGTERM to everything.  Processes that
need to clean up after themselves should catch it and do whatever they
feel they must.

If Oracle and/or Teamwork doesn't do this, file a bug report with the
vendor.  If you're paying for support, *demand* a fix.

Quote:> Is there something like a 'shutdownrc' file that will be executed
> wenn the shutdowntime has elapsed?

Not that I know of.  If the commands in question execute fairly
quickly, you could write a daemon which sleeps waiting for a SIGTERM
and then runs whatever needs to be run.

Quote:> I have looked at the 'shutdown' program itself, but that is no
> shellscript so I can't change anything.

Dontcha just love them binary-only distributions?  (Biggest gripe I
have with Sun on this point, at the moment, is add_client....)

                                        der Mouse

                        old: mcgill-vision!mouse

Post by Ross Park » Wed, 29 May 1991 08:18:43

|> > I am using SunOS 4.1 and I want to execute some commands just before
|> > the system is going down (shuting down Oracle and Teamwork).
|>
|> That's why shutting down sends a SIGTERM to everything.  Processes that
|> need to clean up after themselves should catch it and do whatever they
|> feel they must.

Definitely... unfortunately, init isn't as smart as we'd all like at times...
(see next comment...)

|> Not that I know of.  If the commands in question execute fairly
|> quickly, you could write a daemon which sleeps waiting for a SIGTERM
|> and then runs whatever needs to be run.

Unfortunately, init will not wait for all processes to die... only ones
that it deems worthy of it's attention. I went through this exact problem
a couple of months ago (trying to shut down Oracle), and eventually gave
up. I had tried what you suggest - init will blast a SIGTERM at the daemon,
but it will merrily continue on and take the system down. Databases take
toooooo long to shut down!

--
Ross Parker                     | Why do they put me down?
                                | Make out that I'm a clown?

uunet!ubc-cs!mprgate!parker     | Yeah I'm gonna save my money
                                | (gonna put it all away...)
(604)293-5495                   | 'Cause I'm a Scotsman

1. WANTED: Solaris 2 equivalent to SunOS 4.1.X's 'showfh' cmd

I am looking for a Solaris equivalent program to the SunOS 'showfh'
command.

I would like a way of viewing NFS filehandles and the file path they
are pointing to.

eg.

client-machine %> showfh 6830
                "/var/mail"

I have been looking everywhere for something for Solaris and cannot
find it!.

The best I can do at the moment is try to catch a MOUNT request
using SNOOP which shows the file handle and requested remote path.

Any ideas?

7 Arabian Avenue, West Beach, South Australia 5024  Ph: +61-8-235-2735

2. Linux version of crypt(1)

3. Can't pipe stdout into 'cat', using g++/libg++ on SunOS 4.1

4. nVIDIA GeForce4 installation and configuration

5. SunOS 4.1 / 4.1.1 / 4.1.1U_1 /usr/etc/rpc.yppasswdd doesn't work.

6. Linux / Apple LaserWriter 2 / Serial

7. Where is the 'kernel configuration file' for SunOS 4.1?

8. ksnuffle-2.2 released

9. How do I get 'w' to say that i am doing something else

10. 'Unknown PCI device' and 'Keyboard timeout' with RedHat 4.1

11. RedHat 4.1 FTP Server! Am I missing something?

12. fflush doesn't work on SunOS 4.1 ?

13. SunOS 4.1 box doesn't want to see DNS anymore