FTP

Post by Kamran Musht » Tue, 12 Apr 1994 08:43:33

Hi
i wanted to know how can i get a file from ftp. I mean some of the files
i try to get the command that is returned is not a plain file
how do i get these files

FTP

Post by Gaja K. Vaidyanat » Wed, 13 Apr 1994 03:20:51

>Hi
>i wanted to know how can i get a file from ftp. I mean some of the files
>i try to get the command that is returned is not a plain file
>how do i get these files

I have noticed that most of the time the error message regarding a particular
file not being a "plain file", is due to the fact that the said "file" is
actually a "directory".  If this is not true, then make sure that the mode
in which you transfer is the compatible with the type of file(i.e., ascii,
binary or image etc,.)

Hope it helps,

Gaja.
Gaja K. Vaidyanatha                     Department of Computer Science,

voice  : (419)-372-2525                 Bowling Green, OH 43403.
Standard Disclaimers apply

FTP

Post by Bill Marc » Fri, 15 Apr 1994 00:18:21

"Not a plain file" means it's a directory.

1. Solaris ftp v Pro-ftp v WU-ftp

One-year newbie Solaris admin here. (And four yrs Linux experience extra,
does
that count extra credit?)

Management thinks they want an internet ftp server for the company.
Whatever,
they're mgt, and 'I serve at their pleasure'.. and paycheck. My questions:

1). why use a package like ProFTP or WU-ftp, instead of Solaris 2.6 ftp,
which
seems to me easy enough to use and cfg? (I'd ask them why, but that'd be
interpreted
as 'a bad thing'.)
2). which FTP is 'better'? I've heard of WU-ftp security holes, but am not
familiar
with Pro-FTP problems.
3). is there a better way to go?

I'm guessing this is for external customer browser convenience, which will
make me
RTFMs soon enough, yet any other comments, suggestions, or insights would be
appreciated. Thank you.

-fgz
(name alias and bogus email adrs to protect the guilty.)

2. HP vs Solaris commands

3. FTP: New Linux FTP site: ftp.kernel.org

4. Can't Allocate Shared Memory

5. Secure ftp, ftp over stunnel og ftp-ssl.

6. Howto prevent caching of filesystem activity?

7. How to connect to an FTP through an FTP-Proxy.

8. zip drive?

9. Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client

10. make a character device /dev/ftp that do ftp

11. Problems with FTP (wu.ftp) HELP!

12. FTP: Looking for source code for FTP client program

13. how do I use the cern ftp proxy with non web ftp clients?