xterm: input method problem

Post by * Tong » Sun, 11 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

When I launch xterm &, I got the following message in one Sun box:

input method doesn't support my preedit type

I don't have a clue what is wrong. where should I look into? thanks

-- Tong
Anti-spam: remove underscore(s) to reply.
Welcome to my homepage http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/
  - All free contribution & collection
  - freeware &  music from the heavens

xterm: input method problem

Post by Ken Pizzi » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>When I launch xterm &, I got the following message in one Sun box:

>input method doesn't support my preedit type

>I don't have a clue what is wrong. where should I look into? thanks

That looked like a strange enough message that I wondered what
it could be coming from.  By UTSL(*) methodology, I find that
"input method" is "an X11R6 feature which deals with translation
of composite characters".

Further casual reading of the source (I'm not so curious as
to spend time actually studying it carefully) suggests that
you might try setting the "openIm" resource to "false":
   xterm -xrm 'XTerm*openIm: False'
If that helps, and you don't need the composite character
support, add that resource to your .Xresources file.

                --Ken Pizzini

(*) It's be quite some time since I've seen this usenet acronym
    used, so I figured I probably need to explain: UTSL stands
    for "Use The Source, Luke" (which is a somewhat date joke,
    even if there is a new wave of interest in the Star Wars
    movies).

xterm: input method problem

Post by Lawrence Carve » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Did someone build xterm from Thomas*ey's XFree86 source?  If this is
the case, I found that I had to build it using the "--disable-i18n" configure
option, to avoid seeing the input method (localization) warnings at runtime.

If that host indeed has this type of xterm, you can use "xterm -version"
to query the exact version that was built.

Larry C.

> > try    xterm -t vt100 -d $DISPLAY &

> > >Hi,

> > >When I launch xterm &, I got the following message in one Sun box:

> > >input method doesn't support my preedit type

> > >I don't have a clue what is wrong. where should I look into? thanks

> you must be joking, Bit Twister, :-) 'cause none of you -d or -t is
> valid xterm parameter, at least for sun box' xterm. Anyway, I tried
> "xterm -tn vt100 &" and the problem still the same: I can open the
> xterm, but got a warning message at the original window.

xterm: input method problem

Post by Thomas Dicke » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Did someone build xterm from Thomas*ey's XFree86 source?  If this is

that's one possibility - but I've also seen a few reports that are against
the regular X11R6.3 code which has support for input method.  For either,
Ken Pizzini's comment about setting the openIm resource should work.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/
ftp://dickey.his.com

xterm: input method problem

Post by * Tong » Sun, 18 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> That looked like a strange enough message that I wondered what
> it could be coming from.  By UTSL(*) methodology, I find that

I though it was hopeless to get an answer, :-)... Yeah, it really
works. Thanks, ken, for using the UTSL methodology to find me the
answer.

To Larry, my "xterm -version" shows "XFree86 3.9.16b(118)" -- you
are right. Thanks for sharing your experience on that.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://members.xoom.com/suntong001/

1. Apache Problem: Method POST Method Not Implemented

I realize that this problem is not strictly a Linux problem; if there is a
more appropriate place to post this query, please let me know (by email).

I have Apache 1.0.0 installed on Slackware 2.0.27 and I can't get my
server to implement a POST Method request from my pages.  I have set the
access.conf file appropriately, I think, thusly:

<Limit GET POST>
order allow,deny
allow for all
</Limit>

GET requests are implemented.  But when a POST request is made from a
page (further down the directory tree from cgi-bin which has the above
access settings) I get, to paraphrase,

                         Method Not Implemented

POST to /var/lib/......../somescript.cgi not supported

The script, "somescript.cgi", works because it is used to get to the page
that tries to make the above POST request.

Is there something else besides the access.conf file that I might have
overlooked?  Is the POST method not normally compiled in?  My Slackware
comes off a commercial CD so I would have thought that it would have the
most common methods already operational.

I have already studied the www.apache.org online documentation but I
did not see anything that addressed this problem other than the discussion
on access.conf file.

Offers of help leading to a resolution of the problem will be rewarded
with 10 cybercookies.

Conrad Richter

2. voodoo 3 under linux

3. netscape navigator for linux & Input Method Server

4. smb.conf

5. Q:NCSA's httpd_1.4.2 break on 8-bit input using METHOD=GET

6. Question about X screen saver

7. Input methods make X application crash ?

8. What commands to use to find processor spreed, # of processors, RAM and HD?

9. Input Methods -- where can I find them?

10. X Input and Output Method patch for 2.7 vs. for 2.8

11. Windows IME (input method editor) with Reflection X

12. Plug-in Input Method to Xlib on Dunix 4.0D

13. Input Methods