Teori Q about Paging

Post by Mikael Hellstr? » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

A system using Paging.Each side is 64k. System can hold 4 Pages. In the
system there are
the following pages 1(oldest) 2,3 and 4(newest).
Request in order: 1,5,4,6,5,4,3,7,6,5,3,1,2,1,4,6,4,2,3,4

FIFO in use...
The answer Should be 9 fault.

My Question are. How do i calculate this. Glad for tip.

Sorry for bad english.
Thanks Mikael

Teori Q about Paging

Post by Ken Pizzi » Mon, 10 Jan 2000 04:00:00

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:43:14 +0100,

>A system using Paging.Each side is 64k. System can hold 4 Pages. In the
>system there are
>the following pages 1(oldest) 2,3 and 4(newest).
>Request in order: 1,5,4,6,5,4,3,7,6,5,3,1,2,1,4,6,4,2,3,4

>FIFO in use...
>The answer Should be 9 fault.

>My Question are. How do i calculate this. Glad for tip.

Okay, it holds 4 pages.  Initially, pages 1,2,3,4 are loaded.
 *  The request for page 1 is found already in-memory; no fault
    is generated.
 1: The request for page 5 cannot be fulfilled from the in-memory
    pages; a fault is generated.  Page 1, the oldest (FIFO,
    remember) is dropped, and page 5 is added as the newest
    page.  Pages 2,3,4,5 are now loaded.
 *  The request for page 4 is found already in-memory; no fault
    is generated.
 2: The request for page 6 cannot be fulfilled from the in-memory
    pages; a fault is generated.  Pages 3,4,5,6 are now loaded.
 *  The request for page 5 is fulfilled from an in-memory page.
 *  The request for page 4 doesn't fault either.
 *  Likewise, the page 3 request doesn't fault.
 3: Request for page 7 faults, resulting in 7,3,4,6.
 4 through 9: by now you should be able to figure out what goes
    on.  To check, you should find that the the in-core page groups
    will run through: 6375, 3751, 7513, 5124, 1246, 2463.

Now, with that understanding, how does the following sequence
give you the same answer?  1234.563712463

                --Ken Pizzini

1. paging scripts and other Qs

I was wondering if someone could give me an example of a bash script (or
somethig similar) that would page (via modem of course) me when
something goes wrong. Excuse my ignorance, but I know very little about
stuff like AT& ATD and all those other short ascii codes.

Another question Offtopic,
I have built my own small network of primarily 486s with OpenBSD,
FreeBSD and Linux(Any other suggestions for good free OSes?).  I have
made my own apache website, DNS with BIND, SMB data server, and sendmail
email server.  I am building this stuff for knowledge and practice, but
I am running out of good ideas to keep building these machines.  I only
want to build 486s (cheap, I bought a 486 50 mhz 16 mb ram, 503 mb hd
with monitor for $50) that have an actual use. I don't want to build a
server that doesn't do something that I won't  actually use, only
servers that I can actually get work done on.  For example, would having
a usenet server on a 486 be ok?  Also, good you give me your ideas on
how to balance services on the servers(i.e. usenet and sendmail on 1
server, SMB and NCP on another).  Thanks for your help!

--
Jason Toy

http://toy.eyep.net

2. RedHat 5.2 on an Alpha?

3. Q: Info about paging (count of page-in/page-out)?

4. lpsched daemon keeps dying

5. KWord: page 1 in footer shows page 1 on all pages

6. Solaris 2.5 Beta Driver Update 2

7. Erasing sw - stupid qs

8. Question: Is USR Sporter 33.6 Fax/modem compatable ?

9. Two Debian 2.0 Qs

10. Easy Qs for ya

11. 2 Qs: How to register and where is _calendar_ or _remind_ ?

12. ARP Qs

13. Qs about "tee"