HELP! Need advice on moving to Unix platform.

HELP! Need advice on moving to Unix platform.

Post by Paul Gauthi » Sat, 14 Sep 1991 08:15:50

The Problem:

        My organization has developed a set of image processing programs in
C under MS-DOS (using MSC 6.0, as ANSI compatible as possible) and we
are now under extreme pressure to move into a Unix environment on very
short notice. We have very little information from our client as to what
Unix platform we will be working on. What we need is information on what
people with experience in this area can recommend as far as:

        - hardware platform (this is a number chewing package)
        - what Unix OS we should use
        - what C compiler should we use

        We have a budget of around $10K (CDN) to aquire the main unix box
and aditionally two high powered terminals (NOT dumb-ish terminals, or
X-terminals, the program has very meager graphics display needs... B&W
bitmaps are fine). Currently we are leaning heavily towards using Intel
boxes (high powered 386s for the terminals and a beast of a 486 for the
Unix box itself). This is simply because we wish to leave open the option
of re-using the boxes for our DOS developement.

        Our main concern is portability above all else. Since we do not
currently know what exact flavour of Unix we will end up running this
system under we need to port it to a "generic" Unix. Currently we are
contemplating using gcc as the compiler for this project. How widely
available is gcc? Are chances good that it will be already running under
most Unixes that we will encounter?

        In short, any and all pointers and recommendations are welcome. We
need info about everything, down to the last nut, bolt and byte. We have
some Unix experience in-house, but none from the point of view of purchasing
or adminning a system (only from a user/programmer point of view).

        I'm crossposting this to all the unix related groups that seemed
appropriate since this is a problem we need answers and recommendations

since I may miss responses in some of these groups.

        Thanks in advance for any help you can give us,

                Paul Gauthier,
                Worthigton Software Company.

President, Cerebral Computer Technologies  |  exceptions."
Phone: (902)462-8217    Fax: (902)420-1675 |

1. HELP! Need advice on moving to Unix platform.

[...]

2. How to get name of the executable or module

3. Need advice on unix platform

4. Intranet problems with Apache, Netscape 2.0, & MSIE

5. Unix platform advice respectfully requested

6. Unix market share

7. Needing Cross Platform Dev Tools Advice

8. what is using memory?

9. career advice needed (language? platform?)

10. Need to move "unix.old" to "unix"!!!

11. Moving mail from SCO Unix to Win NT help needed

12. Moving to iptables from ipchains - need advice