Pointer: Foiling spam and other procmail email-filter tips

Pointer: Foiling spam and other procmail email-filter tips

Post by Timo Sal » Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The gentle readers processing their email on a Unix-system, or
getting their email through a Unix-based system, might be interested
in the following information.

 Foiling Spam with an Email Password System
 http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/spamfoil.html

 1. An Email Password System
 2. Further useful links about spam
 3. Comments and Questions about Timo's Method

 Timo's procmail tips and recipes
 http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/proctips.html

 1. I want to filter my email automatically. How do I get started
    with procmail?
 2. Building a testbench. How can I test individual procmail
    recipes?
 3. I know how to make "and" rules in procmail recipes, but how do I
    make "or" rules?
 4. How can one perform multiple shell commands on the action line?
 5. How can I find out what the subject of a posting is?
 6. How do I get a copy of the headers of all the incoming email
    into a separate file?
 7. Would you give some further hints for spam foiling recipes?
 8. I have limited disk space. How can I truncate long messages?
 9. How can I quickly test if my rules with regular expressions
    match?
10. How can I detect if the email comes, say, from the .com domain?
11. What alternatives do I have to detect a sender all through the
    various header-fields?
12. How can I extract the address of the sender's postmaster?
13. How can I weed out an inordinately long recipient list?
14. What is this procmail scoring? How can I utilize it?
15. How can I test if the subject is empty or if the subject field
    is missing altogether?
16. How can I modify the "To:" field of the email I received?
17. I have a long list of spammers in a separate file. How can I
    utilize it?
18. How do I forward certain messages that I get, and preserve myself a
    copy?
19. I tried out your tips, but some of them failed on my system. What
    next?
20. Is there a cure for the echo and grep blues?
21. What unix manuals relating to procmail should I get?
22. I liked this material. Do you have anything else on programming?

   All the best, Timo

Digital photos collection at http://www.uwasa.fi/ktt/lasktoim/photo/