IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Ulf Knoblic » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi

Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.

SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
though it spun up and is turning...

bye

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Pascal Gieng » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi

>Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
>I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.

>SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
>though it spun up and is turning...

What does your Sun say if you do a Stop-A (for the boot command prompt)
after turning on your Sun, wait until your disk really spins up and
you then give the "b" boot-command? Try also the command
"probe-scsi-all" at the boot prompt before booting. Your hard disk should
report its number and its name.

Perhaps the IBM 0662 is some kind of hard disk which needs a long time to
become ready.

Solution: Search for a jumper named "wait for start unit command". Activate
this. On the sun, nothing else is necessary. The hard disk won't spin
up then unless the computer tells it to do so (and waits for it).
On the PC, activate "Send start-unit command" in the BIOS of your host
adapter (on Adaptecs this is the name of the option).

If neither of these 2 ideas work, your hard disk is likely to be broken ;-)

Pascal
--

-------------| http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/1381/ |----+---------
Rechenzentrum| Tolles Internet, Teil IV: Gestern gab es keine "5 Minuten

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Ulf Knoblic » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi

Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.

SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
though it spun up and is turning...

bye

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Ulf Knoblic » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Thank you for that though it doesn't help me much till now.
Under SunOS it reports fine after probe-scsi as Silverdisk1. And I
jumpered it Autostart already, it spins fine.

I noticed I can a Media Verify under Adaptec afdisk (or scsifmt) and it
works fine, but I can't format it for dos (error writing boot record) or
read it under unix.

Any further hints?

> >Hi

> >Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
> >I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.

> >SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
> >though it spun up and is turning...

> What does your Sun say if you do a Stop-A (for the boot command prompt)
> after turning on your Sun, wait until your disk really spins up and
> you then give the "b" boot-command? Try also the command
> "probe-scsi-all" at the boot prompt before booting. Your hard disk should
> report its number and its name.

> Perhaps the IBM 0662 is some kind of hard disk which needs a long time to
> become ready.

> Solution: Search for a jumper named "wait for start unit command". Activate
> this. On the sun, nothing else is necessary. The hard disk won't spin
> up then unless the computer tells it to do so (and waits for it).
> On the PC, activate "Send start-unit command" in the BIOS of your host
> adapter (on Adaptecs this is the name of the option).

> If neither of these 2 ideas work, your hard disk is likely to be broken ;-)

> Pascal
> --

> -------------| http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/1381/ |----+---------
> Rechenzentrum| Tolles Internet, Teil IV: Gestern gab es keine "5 Minuten
> Uni Konstanz | Internet". Heute glauben alle das sei normal (Zeitgebhren).

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Ulf Knoblic » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Sorry for uploading this article so often. I had some problems with my
mailer and thought it didn't post it properly.

bye

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Doug Hughe » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Hi

> Is anybody out there with a IBM 0662 harddrive working?
> I don't manage to get it working in a Sun SparcSation2 or a PC.

> SunOS just says sd3 offline while the PC says the drive was "Not ready"
> though it spun up and is turning...

> bye

Make sure that the termination and parity are set with respect
to other devices on your SCSI bus. I've used one of these before
(I think) and didn't have problems with it.  You can connect
nearly any SCSI device at all to a Sun. The only ones I've ever
had problems with (sparc1 through Ultra2) are ones that are broken.

Doug Hughes                                     Engineering Network Services
System/Net Admin                                Auburn University

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Pascal Gieng » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Thank you for that though it doesn't help me much till now.
>Under SunOS it reports fine after probe-scsi as Silverdisk1. And I
>jumpered it Autostart already, it spins fine.

>I noticed I can a Media Verify under Adaptec afdisk (or scsifmt) and it
>works fine, but I can't format it for dos (error writing boot record) or
>read it under unix.

Ok so your disk is well low formatted. Did you install a partition table
afterwards?

On your sun, type (as root) "format" and select your IBM disk at the
small disk selection menu. Then install partitions on it. SunOS limits
the size of a partition to 2 Gigabytes (2^32 bytes). So if your disk is
larger, use more partition. Finish by "l"abeling your disk with a
name for your partition table ;-)

Then you may "format" (say make a filesystem on) your partitions with
"newfs". If you have partitions "a" and "e" (as an example) defined,
do a "newfs /dev/sd3a" and "newfs /dev/sd3e" if your IBM disk reports
as "sd3".

For DOS: Start with "fdisk" to make disk space available for DOS.
But you want to use it with your sun, so try the above. ;-)

Pascal
--

-------------| http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/1381/ |----+---------
Rechenzentrum| Tolles Internet, Teil IV: Gestern gab es keine "5 Minuten
Uni Konstanz | Internet". Heute glauben alle das sei normal (Zeitgebhren).

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Mike Kip » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

SUN MICROSYSTEMS:

Workstations:
Ultra 2, 300mhz, 128mb Memory, 4gb Disk Drive, creator Graphics, Country
Kit..$13,995.00
Ultra 1, 167mhz,64mb Simm,2.1gb Disk Drive,Turbo GX Graphics, Country
Kit......$5,695.00
Sparc 20, SM61 Module, 32 mb Simm, 1.05gb Disk Drive, Turbo GX Graphics,
        Country
Kit............................................................$2,350.00
Sparc 5, 110mhz, 32mb Simm, 1.05gb Disk Drive, Turbo GX Graphics, County
Kit....$1995.00
Ultra 170E chassis and
powersupply...............................................$650.00

Monitors:
Color 16" Monitor.........$250.00
Color 17" Monitor.........$625.00
Color 19" Monitor.........$555.00
Color 20" Monitor.........$885.00

Disk Drives:
1.05 gb F/SCSI (S2/10)....$250.00
1.05 gb FW/SCSI (S5/20)...$225.00
2.1  gb F/SCSI (S2/10)....$395.00
2.1  gb FW/SCSI (S5/20)...$395.00
4.2  gb FW/SCSI (S5/20)...$795.00

CPU Modules:
SM 51 Modules(S10)........$295.00
SM 61 Module..............$500.00
SM 71 Module.............$1350.00
Ultra 2 167mhz............$900.00
Ultra 2 300mhz...........$4900.00

Comes with a one year warranty on parts and labor.

ISG can also support your repair/exchange needs.

If interested, please call Mike at Integrated Solutions Group, Inc at
425-882-0400 ext 226.

Prices subject to availability, all items in stock.

IBM 0662S12 HD

Post by Ulf Knobli » Sat, 03 Jan 1998 04:00:00

When I try to start format, I only get the other HD (seagate) and my
IBM doesn't appear in the menu.