Can I download LYNX and install it?

Post by David Ri » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Yes you can. The most recent version is 2.7.1(f), but I have found there is
some bugs in this version. However, a version 2.7 is ok.

By the way, if you ftp it from ftp://www.slcc.edu and then install it to
the server and then use it on the server without the permission of your
ISP, be warned your behavior is illegal according to China's law!

Post by r.. » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> < snip >
> So I wonder if I can download lynx and
> install it under my own directory?

Zhao Jiankang,

You may download the source code for Lynx version 2.7.1, plus patches,
at www.slcc.edu/lynx/fote. You may also find that there's a binary
version of Lynx compiled for your specific OS platform available for
download at www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/bin.

Good luck.

Post by Berry Kercheva » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hi.  Dear frined.  I am a registered user of a UNIX server at Peking
> University.  But I have only email and telnet access.  My super user
> refuses to install lynx.  So I wonder if I can download  lynx and
> install it under my own directory?  If the answer is yes,, I think it is
> toooo exciting!!

Yes, as others have noticed it is perfectly possible to download and
install lynx in a private directory, but before you do think
carefully: according to the news I head this morning the government of
the People's Republic of China is restricting usage of the Internet.
I'd suggest you try to find out WHY your super user won't install it
before you download it.

Personally I think restricting the Internet is a BAD idea, but I'd
hate for you to be sent to prison for following our advice.

  --berry

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 02 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>a result, without "make" theoretically you can still view the file Makefile
>manually and recompile the modules.  You only have more work to do to
>maintain the lynx module.  Going without "make" should not be a problem
>for installing "lynx".

Perhaps for an experienced Unix programmer.  Even for one of us, it would
be extremely tedious; for a non-programmer, translating a complex makefile
into the commands they need to execute manually would be virtually
impossible.  I get the impression that the original poster is in the latter
category.

Also, I wonder why his system is missing "make".  Perhaps they've removed
all the tools necessary for compiling, such as the C compiler.

If the compiler is still around, he can download GNU make from ftp.gnu.org
or any GNU mirror sites.

Support the anti-spam movement; see <http://www.cauce.org/>
Please don't send technical questions directly to me, post them to newsgroups.

Post by J. Kan » Mon, 05 Jan 1998 04:00:00

|>  >a result, without "make" theoretically you can still view the file Makefile
|>  >manually and recompile the modules.  You only have more work to do to
|>  >maintain the lynx module.  Going without "make" should not be a problem
|>  >for installing "lynx".
|>
|>  Perhaps for an experienced Unix programmer.  Even for one of us, it would
|>  be extremely tedious; for a non-programmer, translating a complex makefile
|>  into the commands they need to execute manually would be virtually
|>  impossible.  I get the impression that the original poster is in the latter
|>  category.
|>
|>  Also, I wonder why his system is missing "make".  Perhaps they've removed
|>  all the tools necessary for compiling, such as the C compiler.
|>
|>  If the compiler is still around, he can download GNU make from ftp.gnu.org
|>  or any GNU mirror sites.

I'm not so sure.  The build and installation procedures of GNU make are,
you guessed it, written in make.  So you need some sort of make to
bootstrap it.

One vague possibility, however.  Check your path.  The default path
under Solaris, for example, does NOT include make, even when it is
installed.  You might try comparing the output of:

    echo $PATH
    getconf PATH

If the latter contains anything that isn't in the former, add it.

--

GABI Software, 22 rue Jacques-Lemercier, 78000 Versailles, France
Conseils en informatique oriente objet --