EISA/VLB/PCI Network accelerator?

Post by Miguel R. Sil » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 04:23:11

The only TCPIP network accelerator I know of is the Etherplex by
Systech. But it only works with SCO Unix.
Can anybody tell me of any other network accelerators?

Thanks a lot!

Miguel

1. question about EISA/VLB and EISA/ISA/VLB MBs

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my 386/40 machine to a 486DX2/66
machine and I need to buy a motherboard.  I have to have VL BUS since I
have a #9 VL BUS card coming. other than that I also wanted an EISA bus.
I'm finding it rather confusing and difficult to find true EISA/VESA
motherboards. most of what I find are "hybrid" boards that also have ISA
slots such as 3EISA/2ISA/2VL or such thing. and these tend to be
substantially less money than the true EISA/VL boards.

what I would like to know is what performance differences I'll see between
a true EISA board and one of these hybrid boards.  is the extra money for
the true EISA/VL board worth it?  will I run into difficulties or
incompatibiities with the hybrid boards that I wouldn't if I went with a
true EISA/VL board.  the reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of breaking
down and buying one of the hybrid boards.

also some boards use 72 pin simms and some use 30 pin simms.  the 30 pin
simms are cheaper but again... is it worth the extra money to get 72 pin
simms and the motherboard that supports them?

please help clue me in on anything I don't know or may not have thought of.

oh it might also help to know that I plan on using the board to run the
Linux operating system if that makes a difference.

thanks for your time and advice I really appreciate it.

- Jeff

2. Two network cards

3. EISA or VLB (EISA th

4. Programming packet burst and long file names

5. HELP!! Term crashes

6. Advance Systems Dual Channel SCSI/IDE ISA/EISA/PCI/VLB cards

7. Benchmarking SMP Linux

8. VLB or eisa or PCI ??

9. EISA, VLB, PCI MB for linux?

10. Diamond Viper VLB -- PCI-VLB mixup????

11. network weirdness with PCI/VLB/ISA 486 motherboard

12. VLB IDE contr, VLB ET4000 and network on parrallel port