question of proxy server set!

Post by Mingfeng Xi » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,all

Now I met a problem about the proxy server set on netscape 4.07 on unix
.In netscape,if I set the proxy useing the  automatic set linking to a
file named 'proxy.pac', then I can visit some servers outside our
LAN.But strangly if I use manual set to try to fill the proxy server by
myself,I failed to visit outside.Also I can not read 'proxy.pac' file to
know which proxy server does the automatic set use.How to solve this
problem?Is there some way to read info of 'proxy.pac' file or to get the
proxy server used by the automatic set used?

Best regards,

Xiu

question of proxy server set!

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,all

>Now I met a problem about the proxy server set on netscape 4.07 on unix
>.In netscape,if I set the proxy useing the  automatic set linking to a
>file named 'proxy.pac', then I can visit some servers outside our
>LAN.But strangly if I use manual set to try to fill the proxy server by
>myself,I failed to visit outside.Also I can not read 'proxy.pac' file to
>know which proxy server does the automatic set use.How to solve this
>problem?Is there some way to read info of 'proxy.pac' file or to get the
>proxy server used by the automatic set used?

The proxy.pac routine probably decides dynamically whether to use the proxy
or a direct connection -- it's a fancy extension of the "No proxy for"
feature.

If the proxy.pac URL is http://hostname/whatever/proxy.pac, you can see it
by doing:

telnet hostname 80<return>
GET /whatever/proxy.pac HTTP/1.0<return>
<return>

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.

question of proxy server set!

Post by Mingfeng Xi » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Now I can read the 'proxy.pac' file, and I select the manual set of the proxy
server to what I found in this file,but I still can not visit outside,while
using automatic set,it works well.What's the reason?

Best regards,
Xiu

question of proxy server set!

Post by Barry Margoli » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Now I can read the 'proxy.pac' file, and I select the manual set of the proxy
>server to what I found in this file,but I still can not visit outside,while
>using automatic set,it works well.What's the reason?

As I said in my previous response, the procedure in proxy.pac can decide on
a case-by-case basis which proxy to use, or not to use a proxy at all.
Without knowing what's in your proxy.pac, it's impossible for us to tell
what it's doing and why you can't do it with a manual proxy setting.

Why are you trying to do this, anyway?  The proxy.pac file is probably
there for a reason, and it works, so what's the problem?

Don't bother cc'ing followups to me.