System Administration/Policies in a Computer Science Department

System Administration/Policies in a Computer Science Department

Post by Pete Bo » Tue, 02 Jan 1990 23:17:00

The Department of Computer Science at Duke University has experienced
tremendous growth over the last 5 years. We are in the process of
drafting policies for managing our computing environment which consist
of various DEC, Sun, CONVEX, BBN, Symbolics, AT&T and micro computers.
A committee has been formed and charged with drafting these policies.

I, as a member of that committee would like to know how other university
computer science departments administer their computing resources. Below
is a partial list of areas which these policies will address:

  - disk allocation(quotas)
  - disk cleanup
  - setting up and deleting accounts
  - root permissions
  - problem reporting
  - interfacing with the user group

Persons who are willing to share information in this area are encouraged
to contact me at my electronic mail address or correspondence should be
mailed to: Leslie H. Boyd
           Duke University
           Computer Science Department
           Durham, NC  27706

I also have interest in any User Manuals and User Survey forms developed
in Computer Science Departments.

1. UNIX Systems Administrator, Computer Sciences Corporation, San Diego, CA.

Computer Sciences Corporation is seeking a UNIX Systems Administrator for a
salaried position in San Diego, Ca.

Job Description:
      Maintains Sun servers and supporting workstations used to provide
gateway access to a global enterprise network in a 7-day/24-hour production
environment. Supports 3270 device emulation, client-server, NFS, and print
processes to IBM mainframes through JES2 NJE. Installs, configures, and
troubleshoots SunOS and Solaris workstations and servers providing auxiliary
production processes to the enterprise network. Provides technical support
to help desk, client, and user groups.

Required Knowledge, Skills, and Fit factors:
      Extensive experience installing, configuring, and troubleshooting UNIX
workstations and servers in an enterprise environment. Experience with UNIX
services including DNS, NIS, NIS+, Mail, FTP, NFS, Telnet, LPR, LPD. At
least 2 years SunOS 4.1 and Solaris 2.4 experience. Familiarity with
C/Bourne shell script writing and MVS mainframe concepts is helpful.
Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, a related
technical discipline, or commensurate experience is required. A team player
with a "client first" orientation who is willing to respond to a pager on a
7-day/24-hour basis and work extended or flexible hours to support customer
requirements. Must be available to travel periodically to support projects
at off-site locations. Good written and oral communication skills are
necessary.

Location:
      San Diego, CA

Business Unit:
      CSC Technology Management Group

CSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.

If interested, please submit your resume in confidence to:

Michael Kinsey
Computer Sciences Corporation / TMG
5021 Kearny Villa Road, MZ W1-5330
San Diego, CA 92123-1407

Fax: 619-573-3161

2. Metrics

3. Computer Officer, School of Computer Science, Univ. Birmingham, UK

4. Apache with FastCGI binaries for Solaris?

5. Department of Redundancy Department

6. Repost: Supra PnP modems w/Linux

7. UNIX COMPUTER SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION/RESEARCH

8. 'WYCOL' terminal emulation for Solaris?

9. Master Degree in Computer Science

10. Linux paradigm Shift (was: Should computer science classes be mandatory in universities?)

11. The Computer Science Club Presents...

12. Looking for software to aid in the teaching of Computer Science