serving www

Post by Kevi » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I have finished my web page.  I resides on my Mac PPC.  I used BBedit, a
line editor for the text.

When uploading a sample file to my unix account at the university (via
modem/kermit), i notice that the returns are not recognized.

So i go back to my PPC and save a copy telling BBedit to use unix line breaks.

Uploading that file again, i notice that it still is unformatted (one big
paragraph that spills over my terminal window) but now has a control-M
character every time there was a return.

This does not seem right, but will a browser interpret the necessary data,
and ignore the control-M's??

 -- - thanks for any information you may have

   Kevin

serving www

Post by MB. Tayl » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have finished my web page.  I resides on my Mac PPC.  I used BBedit, a
>line editor for the text.
>When uploading a sample file to my unix account at the university (via
>modem/kermit), i notice that the returns are not recognized.
>So i go back to my PPC and save a copy telling BBedit to use unix line breaks.
>Uploading that file again, i notice that it still is unformatted (one big
>paragraph that spills over my terminal window) but now has a control-M
>character every time there was a return.
>This does not seem right, but will a browser interpret the necessary data,
>and ignore the control-M's??
> -- - thanks for any information you may have
>   Kevin

Unix handles end-of-lines differently from PCs (and I guess Macs, although
I have no experience) - I think Unix uses just LF (=ctrl-J) and PCs use
LF,CR (ctrl-J,ctrl-M).  Or maybe it's the other way around, but something like
that anyway.  If you transfer files using FTP in ascii mode
the translation gets done so it looks OK at both ends, but HTTP doesn't
do that.  However, it's nothing to worry about.  It's a common problem
with WWW documents, and I can't imagine any browser getting upset about
the wrong sort of line terminators.  I don't think they look at line
terminators at all.

| Mark Beauchamp Taylor  -  physicist trapped in a chemist's body.    |

| Department of Chemistry, University of Bristol, UK                  -------
-----------------------------------------------------| ... It's the future! |
                                                     ------------------------

serving www

Post by David Schluss » Sun, 09 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I hope this is the answer you were looking for and not the obvious, but...
HTML does not recognize line breaks, it looks for <br>
put that wherever you want a line break.

        -david

|> I have finished my web page.  I resides on my Mac PPC.  I used BBedit, a
|> line editor for the text.
|>
|> When uploading a sample file to my unix account at the university (via
|> modem/kermit), i notice that the returns are not recognized.
|>
|> So i go back to my PPC and save a copy telling BBedit to use unix line breaks.
|>
|> Uploading that file again, i notice that it still is unformatted (one big
|> paragraph that spills over my terminal window) but now has a control-M
|> character every time there was a return.
|>
|> This does not seem right, but will a browser interpret the necessary data,
|> and ignore the control-M's??
|>
|>  -- - thanks for any information you may have
|>
|>    Kevin

1. serving www from win95box on LAN with linux gateway?

Hi all you helpful folks-

I have a linuxbox with a static connection to the Internet, and a win95
box on my LAN using the linuxbox as a gateway.

I would like to run Apache on my win95 box to serve a filemaker pro
database to the world, and am wondering if there is a way to do that
with my present configuration? (I read something about port forwarding,
but was unclear if that's a solution).

If not, what's the best change to my set up (keeping my Linuxbox as the
gateway) to make my win95 box into a webserver?

thank you...

Stefan Lynch

2. Where 2 get Tux stickers?

3. 7 of 8 Aliases Serve WWW but Can Not Be Ping'd

4. Intel EtherExpress Pro driver?

5. What do I need to WWW-serve ??

6. Static to DHCP - Printer says bad host

7. WWW serving & NeXTStep

8. Problem in seting up wu-ftpd

9. Setting up a mirroring WWW Serve ?

10. www servers not serving

11. WWW: Request for Feedback on WWW site on Linux distributions

12. Repocopy request: www/jakarta-tomcat4 -> www/jakarta-tomcat4-devel

13. Just noticed this on comp.infosystems.www (Re: WWW Announcement at PC Week)