Permission denied error with remote-shell

Permission denied error with remote-shell

Post by Matt Harr » Mon, 06 Jun 1994 07:24:49

When I try to use rsh to execute a command on a remote workstation, I
always get the error "Permission denied".  When I try to rsh without a
command to execute, I get prompted for a password, then things work just
fine.  But this doesn't help me.  Any ideas?  Do I need to be running
Kerberos?

Cheers,
--

InterLog Internet Services   voice (416) 537-7453   fax (416) 532-5015
Online   Publishing,   Marketing,   and   Support  on   the   Internet

Permission denied error with remote-shell

Post by Clark Za » Tue, 07 Jun 1994 07:34:42

You need a file named .rhosts on the home directory on
the other computer.  It would contain your userid and the
name of the machine you would be calling from.
example:

userid mynode.site.com

--

Post by David N McCa » Wed, 08 Jun 1994 18:16:17

>When I try to use rsh to execute a command on a remote workstation, I
>always get the error "Permission denied".  When I try to rsh without a
>command to execute, I get prompted for a password, then things work just
>fine.  But this doesn't help me.  Any ideas?  Do I need to be running
>Kerberos?

Reading the man-pages for rsh and rlogin, it becomes clear that you are not set
up as an `equivalent host'.  i.e. the machine you're trying to rsh to doesn't
`trust' the machine you're coming from.

SImple solution is to create a file called `.rhosts' in your home directory on
the machine you're trying to rsh to.  This file must list the machine you're
coming from and the username you're using on that machine.

An example to (hopefully) clarify:--

Two machines, jim and fred.
I have an account on fred called david and one on jim called mccann

If I'm logged into jim (as mccann) and try to rsh to fred then it will fail
(because there's no account of the name mccann)

So I can use:-

rsh fred -l david       (saying I wish to become david)

This in turn will fail unless there is a file in david's hoem directory
(~david) called .rhosts which looks like this:-

jim mccann

which says that mccann logged in to jim can become david here (fred) with no
password required.  Since rsh makes no provision for passwords, this is
essential.

I've made this example a little more complicated than neccessary, as in
practice it's usual to have the same account name on different machines, but
that would make the example difficut to clarify.  Also note that this is the
(potential) source of security holes.  In particular be aware of entries in the
.rhosts file of the form :-

machine-name

(i.e. with no user name) as this allows _anyone_ on the named machine to log
into the account that has that .rhosts file.

This file also controls rlogin access, and removes password requirements for
it in the same way.

Best of luck.

--
                        David McCann

Computer Science Yr3                   Faculty Rep: All Comp.Sci Undergrads
Students Union Court Member (elect)    Board of Studies Rep: Comp.Sci 3
Tel: 0956 237670 (any time)            Student Council Rep: Comp.Sci

1. Login denied: No shell: permission denied

On my linux sever at the house I get this message when any user except root
tries to login:

login denied: no shell: permission denied

I caused this myself (yes I'm a newbie) while I was telnetting into the box
from out of state.  I was changing permissions with chmod.  Of course I
could no longer telnet into the box to fix the problem and had to wait to
fix it.  I knew I wouldn't have physical access to the server for 3 months
so I wrote down the commands I used to cause this problem, but by the time I
got home this was of course lost.
I added new users and tried them with no luck. I tried to chmod 777 the
/homes directory and this did not help
I know that this is a stupid problem but I have looked everywhere for the
answer.  If anyone can help me I sure would appreciate it.  If you could
email me it would be even better.

2. test binary missing in FBSD 4.2

3. Disable the write permission of remote-shell.

4. Linux and Cyrix MMX 200?

5. Remote Backup Problem:"Permission Denied"

6. PERC 3/Di: PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller (PERC) 3/Di

7. Remote backup permission denied

8. g++ Inlcude files not being found correctly.

9. Remote Dump Problem: Permission Denied

10. SUMMARY: remote ufsdump; permission denied?

11. Permission denied! when spawning remote xterm

12. was: Permission denied! opening remote xterm

13. shell-init permission denied